Law School Discussion

Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?

bhvexille

Re: Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2004, 11:36:10 PM »
Have people been saying it's a dangerous campus?  All 3 said it's a safe campus.

Maybe the undergrad campus is seperate from the law school?

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 11:21:48 AM »
I grew up not too far from Camden, and believe it or not, Camden has actually improved over the years.  The waterfront is really nice now and is relatively safe (they've spent millions on it over the years).  If you live there or go to school there you are going to know what areas you should and shouldn't be going into.  The area where the Rutgers Campus is is in a nice part.  There is also a Rowan satellite campus there, and another school i think, so it gives it a collegiate atmosphere in that part of town.  There is a lot of opportunity there.

As for living situations, I wouldn't live in Camden myself (although they do actually have lofts that recently sold in the millions on the waterfront--so like I said its not all ghetto).  You can find a nice area within a 10-15 drive for a good price.  I grew up in a nice and safe suburbia myself and it was only a 10 minute car ride from Camden.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2004, 02:16:15 PM »

Hey now :) Philadelphia is f-ing great. I grew up here, in the shadow of NYC. I never realized how much smaller Philly was than NYC until I first saw Manhattan. But I never tried to find reasons why Philadelphia is better or as good as New York. Plainly: they are both phenomenal places for fundamentally different reasons.

My good friend grew up in Succasunna/Roxbury, and worked for ConEd in NYC for a year after graduating college. He came to Philadelphia with an impression more or less on par with yours, and now he loves both towns.

I'm not trying to sell you Philly, just trying to say that there is life after NYC.

That said, I applied to 3 schools near NYC and 3 schools near Philly. So I could go either way.

Truth be told, I actually like Philly a lot better than I used to.  I have some friends who live there now so every once in a while I go party with them down there.  We usually don't do anything high maintenance like going into Center City or down to South Street (I prefer dive bars) and opt to stay in Northeast Philly, which is really growing on me. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't LOVE NYC anymore either.  I haven't been there in about 4 years, which is dumb because I live only an hour away, but it's always such a hassle to go into NYC.  I'd love to spend a weekend there, but I definitely don't have that kind of money.

Philly is definitely the town with easier access for me.  I don't mind driving to Philly and there's relatively decent parking.  I wouldn't even consider driving to Manhattan and not only because the parking would cost me more than my life is worth.  But even though I see the all the things that Philly has to offer, I just have this innate preference for NYC.  Maybe it'll change someday, but for now I just can't help it!

Sorry!   :'(

NYKnicks

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 06:09:26 PM »
Have people been saying it's a dangerous campus?  All 3 said it's a safe campus.

Maybe the undergrad campus is seperate from the law school?

The campus is decent from what I've seen, but you're going to want to leave campus SOME of the time.

DRJJ1

Re: Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark? STAY AWAYYYYYY OR GET SHOT/STABBED
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 06:30:52 PM »
GOING TO school is one thing but getting shot and stabbed is another   newark and camden law schools are defin out for me and my friends applying to law school

IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE STAY AWAY FROM THESE SCHOOLS!!!

NYKnicks

Re: Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark? STAY AWAYYYYYY OR GET SHOT/STABBED
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 06:32:39 PM »
GOING TO school is one thing but getting shot and stabbed is another   newark and camden law schools are defin out for me and my friends applying to law school

IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE STAY AWAY FROM THESE SCHOOLS!!!

Couldn't have put it in simpler terms. For the record, I feel Newark is still a big step up though.

bhvexille

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2004, 09:44:17 PM »
Unfortunately, camden seems to be a good 2 or so hours away from manhattan, and you need to transfer trains or get a ride to trenton or something.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 09:34:51 AM »
Camden is about a two hour drive to Manhattan, and you're partially correct about the trains.  There is now a train line that goes directly from Camden to Trenton, but you may have to switch to the Northeast Corridor line to get to Penn Station.  Still, this is much better than driving to Manhattan, where you'll have to worry about parking.

To the poster who said that if you value your life you should stay away from these schools, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.  I've spent time in both Newark and Camden and while neither is exactly a garden of Eden, neither is exactly the hell you describe them as either.  Yes, there is an elevated crime rate in both cities, but just like anywhere else you go in the world, stay away from the bad areas.  In the case of Camden, don't live in the city and don't venture off campus alone at night (especially women).  As for Newark, the school is not in a bad area as I understand it.  Do you want to go into the ghetto?  Obviously not.  But seriously, I'm kind of tired of people knocking Camden and Newark and characterizing them as cities that one should not enter unless they have a death wish. 

Get a grip and a sense of reality and quit knocking my state.

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 12:45:48 PM »
Camden is about a two hour drive to Manhattan, and you're partially correct about the trains. There is now a train line that goes directly from Camden to Trenton, but you may have to switch to the Northeast Corridor line to get to Penn Station. Still, this is much better than driving to Manhattan, where you'll have to worry about parking.

To the poster who said that if you value your life you should stay away from these schools, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I've spent time in both Newark and Camden and while neither is exactly a garden of Eden, neither is exactly the hell you describe them as either. Yes, there is an elevated crime rate in both cities, but just like anywhere else you go in the world, stay away from the bad areas. In the case of Camden, don't live in the city and don't venture off campus alone at night (especially women). As for Newark, the school is not in a bad area as I understand it. Do you want to go into the ghetto? Obviously not. But seriously, I'm kind of tired of people knocking Camden and Newark and characterizing them as cities that one should not enter unless they have a death wish.

Get a grip and a sense of reality and quit knocking my state.

Applause, applause!  Thank you for capturing my sentiments exactly. 

I go to undergrad in DC, the "murder capital of the nation".  Does that mean that no one who values their life should ever step foot in DC?  I think not.  Every area has a "bad part" or a "worse part" but if you use your head you'll be safe.  And to the poster who said that he/she wouldn't hang out on the other side of the wall at the Tweeter Center: It's not as bad as you make it sound. As a female, I've hung out there and been just fine.  But like I said you have to use your head.  Walk in groups, yada yada.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 02:24:07 PM »
Yay!  Thanks for backing me up, it always helps.  I too went to undergrad in DC.  Maybe its learning to live in a city where you understand that you can't go certain places, especially not at night and not as a female, but anyway, its nice to see that there is someone else with at least a modicum of common sense.