Law School Discussion

Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?

lawboundFALL05

Re: Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 09:18:18 PM »
A lot of schools are in ghettos.. i.e. yale, columbia, john's hopkins, loyola marymount, usc, berkley, etc.

Very true, but none of these cities were just found to be the MOST DANGEROUS IN AMERICA. 

NYKnicks

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »
I actually regret applying to Camden and it probably went straight to the bottom of my list after I found out about it being the most dangerous city. Either way though, I had already put that school in the doghouse after visiting and really having a look at the area. The campus isn't all that impressive and the surrounding area is a jungle. I mean the only advantage of going there is if you want to work in Philly eventually, but thean again, you could always try to get into Temple for that. I'd take Newark all the way, if only for my well being. I know Newark isn't the best area either, but around the campus is really not that bad.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »
Being from NJ (as I know many of you probably are) neither Newark or Camden appeal to me very much, obvious tuition benefits aside.  If you go to Newark, chances are you won't live in the city but seeing as it is so close to Manhattan, its ridiculously expensive to live up there.  Same thing goes for Camden in terms of living in the city.  Camden is NOT a place you want to live, but Philly is so close and much safer therefore if I end up there I'll be finding a place to live across the river. 

As a side note, Newark has been on the rise for a while now.  It's not as bad as it used to be, and many areas of the city are actually quite nice (have you all seen NJPAC?). 

NYKnicks

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 09:51:45 PM »
Either way, it is a blessing that no law campus is at New Brunswick. I could not stand it to go back there for 3 more years...

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 10:40:33 PM »
Thanks a lot for your replies (especially Kevdog).

Yea -- I like both of these schools.  And the information is great to have.

Rizz98

• 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 06:48:51 AM »
Also, remember that these crime stats are highly driven by population - it's all per capita. That's why Camden & Gary, IN always end up on these crime lists - they are small (less than 100,000 people) cities. I'd be interested to see stats on muggings, rapes, etc. of random people - not murder of drug dealers & other drug-associated crime.

That being said, would I go for a jog around the rowhouses south of the Tweeter Center at 11:30 on a Friday night? I don't think so!

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 07:32:18 PM »
Actually, according to the most recent survey (which came out a couple of weeks ago) Camden is the United States' 2ND Most Dangerous City, right behind Detroit.  And yes, obviously this is per capita, but that kinda makes your odds worse.

laur0212

• 3L, yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2004, 08:05:18 PM »
And yet for some reason my parents think that I would rather go there than Newark--at least most of North Jersey is nice.

My mom just wants me to live in Philly which, no offense to Philadelphians, is one of my least favorite cities.  My parents are both native New Yorkers and I grew up thinking NYC was the end-all be-all.  I just never warmed up to Philly.  No particular reason that I can come up with.

But yeah, Camden is freakin horrible, crime aside.

bhvexille

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2004, 11:20:36 PM »
I just spent the evening hanging out with three beautiful undergrads at rutgerts-camden

All they really had to say about the school was that it had a safe campus in a really ghetto area

NYKnicks

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2004, 11:25:24 PM »
Thats pretty contradictory info.