Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?  (Read 12967 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?
« on: December 09, 2004, 06:12:25 PM »
Ok, I've been to both... but in the summer.  I can see that Newark has a newer building, and I know they have a decent faculty and good public interest programs (that's what I'd like to do).

Camden, like Newark, isn't in a great area -- but Philly is much closer to Camden than Newark is to Philly it seems (10 minutes vs. 30 minutes).  Camden has a great faculty, but not as good of a facility.

So which is better? (more prestigious/ better place to live/ better experience, etc...)?

Will either move up in the rankings this year ya think?  (yes, I don't like the US News rankings either, but I've given in because they are just so darned self-fufilling).

James Neutron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers: Camden vs. Newark?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »
i think if you wanna work in philly, go to camden, if you wanna shoot for NY then go to newark.  like you said, neither is in a great location, camden being slightly worse, but the area around the law school and on the waterfront isnt too bad.

i don't foresee either one becoming vastly better than the other, but it looks like camden's lsat numbers have been climbing in the past couple years and are now a lot higher than newarks.

basically, theyre both pretty local schools with a lot of new jersey people, and just so you know, newark to philly is at least an hour, but more like an hour and a half.  camden is literally right across the river from philly, like a 5 minute drive

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 09:11:56 PM »
Yea, thanks for the reply.  I find it interesting that you said that Camden is slightly worse.  Just from a quick visit, of course, I couldn't tell much about Camden or Newark, except that both looked fairly bleak. 

I do like Philly and New York City both.  But really I wouldn't mind (would enjoy, in fact) a clerkship after law school, at least I think.  And both Newark and Camden seem to have quite good stats as far as sending grads to clerkships.

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 09:47:57 PM »
FYI, Camden was just rated one of the most dangerous cities (2004) to live in.

HTH

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 09:51:51 PM »
Camden, NJ #5 and Newark, NJ #12 out of 25.

bhvexille

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 10:02:11 PM »
If it's a choice between the two, go to camden, they have better employment stats

lawboundFALL05

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 10:45:13 PM »
FYI, Camden was just rated one of the most dangerous cities (2004) to live in.

HTH

THE most dangerous from what I saw here:  http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm

This explains my meeting with them at the law forum.  When I asked about what their school was like, the representative immediately told me about a several-hundred-millioan dollar rehabilitation project for the city.  That is how bad their area is:  That crime is the first factor they address to a prospective applicant.

I'm not sure what it is like to live in Camden, but if there was a survey of paint colors chosen within U.S. cities, and Camden was voted "Most Purple of 2004", then I'd expect to see the color purple all the time when visiting.

If Camden was voted the most unsafe, then you will probably see (or be a victim of) crime pretty often.

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 11:10:52 PM »
this is EXTREMELY scary for FEMALES!! :(

bhvexille

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 11:11:25 PM »
A lot of schools are in ghettos.. i.e. yale, columbia, john's hopkins, loyola marymount, usc, berkley, etc.

help101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 11:13:11 PM »
you're absolutely right about columbia.  also umd.

i've heard the same thing about temple, but i haven't visited there.