Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What was your initial score on LSAT?  (Read 4621 times)

jbshane

Re: What was your initial score on LSAT?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2004, 03:23:51 PM »
In terms of seeing results, my second round of studying started to net results almost immediately.  The first time around involved much slower progress.

daynee

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.84/162 University of Richmond 1L - FINALLY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2004, 03:40:24 PM »
When I first started studying, I was scoring in the low 150's.  I bought both Official LSAT Preptest books, plus the three most recent tests from the LSAC site.  I got some prep books to help me tackle the logic section (also my albatross), but never used the sample tests in the prep books - just used them for strategy.  After I got my strategy down, I took 3-4 tests a week under timed conditions.  By the time test day came around, I was consistently scoring between 158 and 161.  My final score was 162. 
If we do not find anything pleasant, at least we shall find something new.  ~ Voltaire, Candide

Longhaul

• 3.3/171
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2004, 05:21:27 PM »
155. Studied on my own and moved up to a 163. Took a Powerscore weekender, then studied more, and ended at 171.

You must take many, many tests!

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2004, 05:25:13 PM »
Took a Powerscore weekender, then studied more, and ended at 171.

So, Longhaul, am I wrong to assume that you would recommend taking a PowerScore Weekend course?

Longhaul

• 3.3/171
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2004, 05:34:07 PM »
Yeah, there was more to the class than I expected so I was happy I sat in.

Word of advice: I felt that having prepped on my own made a difference as I had a bit of an understanding of what was troubling me. The class really focused on games and reasoning, so I would say that anyone considering taking a class should know what their areas of need are.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 05:41:44 PM »
Longhaul,

So far I have been missing only 0-3 questions on my Logic Games section.  Would the class still be worth the cost if I just needed to improve LR?

Longhaul

• 3.3/171
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 05:47:52 PM »
I was great at reading comprehension and decent at games and reasoning when I went in. You are a bit better than I was at games. If you are missing that few in reasoning then I don't see why you would need any class. I was missing about 7 per section on reasoning, and I did feel I got value from learning the approaches. Because I had been studying a while on my own I didn't adopt everything from the class, but it did make sense and I picked up some stuff *I* thought was valuable.   

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2004, 05:52:50 PM »
i think just practicing over and over again is the best way to study.  i never really took a class...but at the time, i was more motivated to just do the studying on my own.  it actually helped me focus a bit more...

i was a bit backwards too - i was usually perfect on the games.  LR and RC were my problems...i just got better at them after doing 35+ prep tests.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

cvetok

• LSAT - February/ waiting
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2004, 06:18:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for sharing your scores.. I am actually thinking about changing my test date to October now  ::), since I don't think I would be able to improve my score in 7 weeks. Plus, I am still waiting for all of my LSAT materials to arrive.
** Life is like a B-grade movie. You don't want to leave in the middle, but you don't want to see it again.--Ted Turner, (1938--), U.S. billionaire
** Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit.--R. E. Shay

nathanielmark

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2004, 09:19:26 PM »
DSONG, how many of those 35 tests did you take all at once and how many did you take in seperate timed sections?

(estimate)

i think just practicing over and over again is the best way to study.  i never really took a class...but at the time, i was more motivated to just do the studying on my own.  it actually helped me focus a bit more...

i was a bit backwards too - i was usually perfect on the games.  LR and RC were my problems...i just got better at them after doing 35+ prep tests.