Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida Coastal v. Whittier  (Read 612 times)

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Florida Coastal v. Whittier
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:23:19 PM »
So, decision time.  Actually, I'm just happy to have a decision to make!  :)

Florida Coastal is closer to my home in Atlanta.  They also gave me a $5k a year scholarship.  However, newer school and much smaller alumni network.

Whittier hasn't gotten me my scholarship offer, but they say it'll come with my admissions letter.  I'm not really concerned about money though, so that's not really a factor.  I think Whittier is a more well-known name and has more OCIs, etc.  However, much further move for me.  That said, my boyfriend just moved to San Jose (still a long drive away, but closer than FL) and it'd be nice to be close, but not a huge factor either, trying to make the best decision for ME!  :)

What does everyone think?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

thechoson

Re: Florida Coastal v. Whittier
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:33:14 PM »
Both are 4th tiers.  So go where you want to practice, cause the degree won't carry far

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 06:39:52 AM »
I hate that answer!  :)

I always thought I'd want to practice in Atlanta where I'm from, but neither degree will get me there easy.  FC is closer of course, but no one in Atlanta respects it and most haven't even heard of it.  Actually, I think more people here have heard of Whittier.

That said, I don't really know if I'd rather be in Jacksonville or Costa Mesa.  My boyfriend wants to live in Cali for good, so if I want things to work with him maybe its better to be out there.  My family is closer to FL though.  And I don't want to make the decision based on him.

I was just thinking as far as name recognition goes, Whittier is what more people have heard of.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

SpeakerDave

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 08:40:50 AM »
You certainly have a tough choice.  This reminds me of one of those LSAT writing samples.  YOu have two choices and some basic criteria that you must evaluate. 

Go with Whittier.  Like you said, the school is slightly better for many reasons than Fl. Coasta.   Costa Mesa is a wonderful area.  Your family will miss you, but even in Florida, you won't get to visit on the weekends during law school.  You'll only be a flight away. Your BF is in Cali.  He wants to stay in Cali.  That's a good start right there.

If, and only if, coming back to practice in Ga. is your #1 consideration, then I'd say go to Florida.  You will be closer to Georgia, and that will make it easier to network your way back into Georgia.  You may even be able to find summer internships, etc...but you will have to do your own leg work.  Getting that work done from FL is easier than doing it from Cali.

Keep us posted.

Oh, you could always do Eenie-meenie-miney-mo...