12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Best President part 2 (post-1900)

buster

Re: Best President part 2 (post-1900)
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 11:24:25 AM »
picky, picky, picky  ;) :D

Clinton-not enough time has passed
Bush-definitely not (father...son, maybe)

How could a case be made for Bush-the-son if not enough time has passed for Clinton?

2nd

Not Kennedy

sejul

• I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 11:32:40 AM »
I'm serious.  I think this argument is far too prevalent among people who hate to admit that President Clinton was a good leader, yet because of the extraordinary events of the past 4 years will jump to the conclusion that President Bush is the greatest leader of our time.  And that's not to say that the anyone claimed that Bush is the greatest leader of our time, but I can see the argument going there.

How could a case be made for Bush-the-son if not enough time has passed for Clinton?

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 11:37:05 AM »

Did not mean to make that confusing...I meant that the son maybe once there has been enough time passed.  HTH   :)

ccast

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 11:40:11 AM »
just to lighten up the debate a little, what about best presidents for comedice effect (SNL or unintentional comedy)?

i gonna go with the non-obvious pick here...Jimmy Carter

has anyone ever seen the SNL sketch with Dan Akroyd as Carter trying to talk someone down off a bad acid trip?  hilarious

buster

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 11:42:25 AM »
YES!  :D

has anyone ever seen the SNL sketch with Dan Akroyd as Carter trying to talk someone down off a bad acid trip?  hilarious

buster

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 11:45:15 AM »
Agreed. On the other hand, I shouldn't talk since I think Bush will go down as the worst president ever.

I'm serious.  I think this argument is far too prevalent among people who hate to admit that President Clinton was a good leader, yet because of the extraordinary events of the past 4 years will jump to the conclusion that President Bush is the greatest leader of our time.  And that's not to say that the anyone claimed that Bush is the greatest leader of our time, but I can see the argument going there.

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 11:48:30 AM »
Trying to cater to every single faction in America does not make a good leader IMHO...neither does licking your finger and checking the political winds before making a decision.  A leader, like FDR, chooses a course of action and sticks with it (hence why I think Bush's Dad should not be considered).

While you may not agree with what Bush says or does, you have to admit he does stick to his guns (bad choice of words probably).

buster

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 11:49:50 AM »
Not only do I not have to admit that, but I don't even agree with it.

Trying to cater to every single faction in America does not make a good leader IMHO...neither does licking your finger and checking the political winds before making a decision.  A leader, like FDR, chooses a course of action and sticks with it (hence why I think Bush's Dad should not be considered).

While you may not agree with what Bush says or does, you have to admit he does stick to his guns (bad choice of words probably).

kristay

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 11:52:19 AM »
Not only do I not have to admit that, but I don't even agree with it.

Trying to cater to every single faction in America does not make a good leader IMHO...neither does licking your finger and checking the political winds before making a decision. A leader, like FDR, chooses a course of action and sticks with it (hence why I think Bush's Dad should not be considered).

Agreed. (with Buster, that is)

lucky7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 11:52:48 AM »
just to lighten up the debate a little, what about best presidents for comedice effect (SNL or unintentional comedy)?

Pres. Taft got stuck in the bathtub. Thats pretty funny. Well, not to the secret service guys, I guess.