Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I send an email to admissions?  (Read 1596 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Should I send an email to admissions?
« on: April 18, 2004, 10:15:20 PM »
I've spoken with the adcom at my first choice school (Rutgers) a couple of times (over email only). A couple of weeks ago I got an acceptance letter to my 2nd choice. The deposit is due 4/31 so I'm getting a little anxious about hearing from Rutgers in time. I was thinking about writing an email to her and explaining how it's getting close and how I would much prefer to attend Rutgers. Of course, I would write this email with some tact and try to say more than just - Please accept me. Is this a bad idea? Let me know if you've done anyhthing like this.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: Should I send an email to admissions?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:17:35 PM »
And yes... I know that I sound pathetic. There are some extenuating circumstances that arose as of late that make my Rutgers acceptance important. I thought that I could even write a little about that and explain why it is important that I go to school in that area. It has to do with a family membe recently being diagnosed with cancer.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 11:15:43 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that, NJlawguy.  My mother has been fighting stage 4 cancer for 8 years now, and I know how difficult it is.  I hope everything turns out well for you and your family.

To answer your question, I think you should call the office of admissions, and ask them what the best course of action is. 
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 11:04:59 AM »
I would write an email stating what makes the school attractive to you, this would obviously include your family situation but should also include programs and strenghts of the LS. I don't think that this will sound desperate but rather letting the adcom know that you're still interested.

I hope things work out and best of luck!

bruiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 11:13:59 AM »
Hey!  I would definitely send them in writing a letter explaining to them why you want to go to their school.  Your reasons should of course include your personal family situation but they should also include reasons why you are a match for Rutgers in particular and what programs they have which mirror your personal interests.  I would not frame the letter in a time sensitive way but I would make it clear to them that you will attend if accepted.  In the meanwhile, I would PAY the deposit to the second school.  Law schools expect this it's just the nature of the game.  I think emailing Rutgers and telling the I want to go here but you have to accept me before 4/31 would be inappropriate.  I think emailing them with a letter expressing your strong interest would be the classier and more productive route.

Good luck!!!

MsCatch22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 07:30:17 PM »
Could you try to email the school that wants the deposit and ask them to extend the deadline a bit?  (This is in addition to emailing Rutgers about your desire to attend there)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 09:51:33 PM »
I did email admissions after a lot of thought and re-reading the email about 1000 times. I explained my situation and was surprised that the admissions director emailed me back and told me that she would make sure this was taken into consideration.. I don't know if it really will bem but it made me feel better.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 10:49:50 PM »
NJLAWGUY

Sorry to here about your family member.  Two days ago I had a dear friend get diagnosed w/ cancer.  My age too.....absolutely terrifying.  Good luck on getting into the school of your choice.  I am glad the admissions officer responded positively to your email. :)
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 09:16:42 AM »
Cancer at any age is a terrible and destructive thing. It's something that should never happen to anyone our age (20's, 30's) I believe that my mother-in-law will beat it and come out stronger. Thanks for the words guys.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 09:17:43 AM »
And as a quick explanation, we will be moving in with her as to help out. This severly limits which law schools I can go to. NJ only from here on out. So it's up to Seton Hall or Rutgers to accept my butt  :)
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164