Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is better- to take an incomplete or to drop a class late?  (Read 714 times)

smurf83

• View Profile
What is better- to take an incomplete or to drop a class late?
« on: December 09, 2004, 12:59:55 AM »
Having a "dropped late" or an "incomplete" grade (which signifies incompleted work, but of passing quality)?

bhvexille

Re: What is better- to take an incomplete or to drop a class late?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 01:01:34 AM »
I think LSAC/LSDAS counts incomplete as an F

Everyman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 01:22:20 PM »
Do law schools see your actual transcripts, or do they just see the report that shows year-by-year grades?

eeniemeeniemineymoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 04:33:10 PM »
Some schools ask for an official transcript after you've been admitted.

What is the penalty of dropping late?  is it just an "X" or something on the transcript?  Aren't you past the drop deadline?

I would go ahead and drop it--unless you need the course for graduation. An "I" could get tricky, and at most schools, an "I" can very easily turn into an "F" if you don't fix it in time.

Going from mush to meringue...

HURLEY- L.S.D.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 05:04:18 PM »
A photocopy of every one of your submitted transcripts is included with your LSDAS report.

The report is rather lengthy, mind you, so it is not as if every school out there will have the time to comb through everyone's file.

In my own opinion, I'd say that your GPA is more important at this stage than your transcript.  Drop the class and enjoy your holiday. 

Then, when you get your grades in, mail off a letter to the school including a list of the classes you took as well as the grades you earned in each of those classes (DO NOT include the details about your dropped class).

You have the option to update your LSDAS report by sending in your most recent transcript, but don't do it until late Feb./early Mar.

Make sure you get that letter out in January though, because it will pacify their curiosity about your grades. 

I know that some people may criticise this advice, but it is the best advice that I can personally give you.  Just be totally honest about the grades that you do have, and remember that omitting information is not unethical.  Not mentioning the fact that you dropped a class is not an issue, because you were never given a grade for that class.