Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do YOU want to go to law school?  (Read 5068 times)

law_dawg

• View Profile
Why do YOU want to go to law school?
« on: December 08, 2004, 10:07:09 PM »
Hey Folks,

I'm an undergraduate student considering a career change to law. Why? Because I want to help people, I can't seem to see a more noble career than public service, especially one that demands as much respect as a law degree.

Here's my question to you guys, what motivates you to pursue this career?, honestly, is it the money? Am I being too naive, or are there others who are in it for the same reason. Is it worth the long nights, hard work, and huge debt from student loans? 
I could really use other perspectives in answering this question for myself, especially from those of you who've wanted to be lawyers since you were in high school.

NeverForever

Re: Why do YOU want to go to law school?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 10:31:06 PM »
My random, nonsensical thoughts...

I think law is the best way to make a positive change that fits in well with my abilities and skills. I enjoy detail and learning intricacies to figure out a larger puzzle. Also I am well aware of the power of the law and the havoc it can wreak in your life, so I prefer to be in the know so I can use law as a tool rather than it use me.

I hope this made some sense.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 10:36:27 PM »
1) Money
2) I don't want to be a computer programmer. Lawyers are often phony and artificial, but computer programmers tend to be a scary breed. At least lawyers have people skills. Sort of. I don't want to be working that for the rest of my life. i can still work with the tech. as a lawyer.
3) I'd really like to be a teacher or a prof, but the job market and pay for both suck.
4) Law is practical. The money is good enough that I can do it until 35 or so. If I don't like it, I can always save up the money to go to school, get another degree, and try something else.
5) I'm addicted to my law field of choice. I just can't read enough about it. I figure that's a good sign.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

law_dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 10:46:54 PM »
Hey Javert,

Thanks for posting. I can totally relate to 2), 3), and 5). I spent a year working as an engineer during my junior year, and I swear I first came to the conclusion that I'd like to be a teacher and now I can't stop looking into and reading about becoming a lawyer.

4) was not something I'd thought of, but it's much appreciated, makes a lot of sense.

once again, thanks a lot

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 10:52:44 PM »
You're welcome. Most people don't like 4 (I've mentioned it here before), but it makes sense to me. I may be able to get the best of both worlds, and be a law prof someday. That would kick ass. The competition is intense, of course, so who knows? Failing that, there's plenty of opportunities for people who are willing to work hard.

On top of that, there are so many different fields of law and types of law jobs, that I imagine there has to be SOMETHING that I'll love. Knowing me, I'll probably end up doing a job that I don't even know exists now.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 10:54:28 PM »
1) I want out of advertising
2) I want to make a difference. Particularly in the gay community. (Surprisingly, I'm not gay.)
3) If I decide I don't like law, it's still a useful graduate degree
4) I love to debate
5) I'm incredibly analytical
6) I love research
7) I thrive off of stress
8 ) I'm incredibly competitive
9) My strengths are better suited for law
10) Public Interest rocks! (Obviously not the money.)

NeverForever

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 10:54:55 PM »
Hmm... so I guess mine didn't make sense. haha.

law_dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 11:03:49 PM »
Hehe,  ;D , no offense NeverForver, your comments are much appreciated.

Javert, you seem to make a whole lot of sense for someone in my position, once again I find myself totally agreeing with your comments.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 11:12:29 PM »
Kevdog-- Heh, yeah, that sounds similar to me.

Law_dawg: Happy to help. My notions are a bit unusual for this board; it seems like most people here have wanted to be lawyers since they were 12 and are utterly devoted to being a lawyer for the rest of their lives. That's not me; it's a job that I may or may not stick with. Hell, I only started planning this lawyer thing six months ago. Hasn't seemed to hurt me much though.

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 03:33:02 AM »
1) Math grad school too hard to get in to.
2) Math grad school too hard to finish
3) Too hard to find a job at a math grad school.

:), hth
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon