Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is your opinion?  (Read 951 times)

nygal2626

What is your opinion?
« on: December 08, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »
Hey guys!  Ok what do you think my chances are in getting in at a good tier 1 school like Emory or George Washington.  I have a 3.46 GPA, LSAT of 159... I graduated from NYU in 2003 and have been working for over a year as a financial analyst for a major Bank... and I worked for top companies all throughout college, volunteer work, RA on campus, etc.... any possibilities or not a chance in hell?

kccole

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 09:32:18 PM »
You don't win if you don't play! In law school admissions or in life. So with that in mind - Apply!
Get Right, or get Left!!!!

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:33:03 PM »

nygal2626

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:35:22 PM »
oh and i forgot to add that i am African-American

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 10:40:38 PM »
I don't think URM status pops you up as much as people think.  I think you would probably get picked over an equal candidate with your same numbers, but I dont' think that gives you extra bonus points.

In any case, you have a better chance at Emory than at GW.  Of course, your chance at GW is probably better if you apply PT.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

AubZamZam

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 10:58:53 PM »
I have to disagree with mfitz... URM seems to pop you up quite a bit at a number of schools.  I can think of a lot of people on this site and LSN who have gotten into schools they would not be as competitive at were they not URMs.  (I am not ranting against this or anything, just saying that the OPs chances actually might be substantially increased since she is a URM).

Lulu

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 11:02:17 PM »
URM helps a lot- I am hispanic, and I know that it has helped me. THere is no way I would have gotten into G'town one week after been complete (or Michigan for htat matter) if it didn't help. I have good numbers, but not good enough to have been decided in under a week. You can add at least 5 points to your lsat if you're african-american; Montauk says as much as 10 points. HTH.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 11:03:31 PM »
^ I could be swayed if I saw some data on this.  I maintain that the people on LSN and this board who have gotten into these reach schools are generally the better candidates anyways, regardless of URM status.  We are the overachievers.  ;D
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

Lulu

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 11:35:58 PM »
Well, I do have a lot of extracurriculars and stuff. But, even though my GPA is within Georgetown's range, my LSAT is below their 25%. I'm not saying I wouldn't have gotten in if I weren't Hispanic, because I believe that I would based on my other "soft" factors, but the fact that I went complete on 11/1 and my acceptance letter on 11/8 leads me to believe they simply looked at my stats, looked at the race box, and accepted me. It was a VERY fast turnaround.

I used to think it wouldn't help that much either- and almost didn't apply to a lot of schools because of it- but finally decided just to do it and see what happened. I firmly believe now that, for right or wrong, it helped me.