Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Valpo vs. Northern Illinois?  (Read 400 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
Valpo vs. Northern Illinois?
« on: December 08, 2004, 09:02:38 PM »
It seems that this board likes Valpo better than Northern Illinois. I've gotten into both, and am waiting on other schools to accept or deny me before I make my decision...my question is this:
NIU has at higher median LSAT and GPA (slightly- not a huge difference)
NIU is also a lot cheaper- I know how much $$ I will get at Valpo, and it will be comparable to NIU, if I don't get any $$ there.

My question is....are there any reasons why Valpo seems to have a better repuation on this board? I've heard the facilities aren't very good at Valpo. I've seen them at Northern...not great, not terrible.

Any advice or thoughts?

bradzwest

Re: Valpo vs. Northern Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 10:48:08 PM »
I think there is more talk about Valpo because they are pretty active in their recruitment efforts because they are relatively unknown.  I have a full tuition offer for the fall and have yet to chat with anyone who says it is their first choice.  I think it matters where you intend to practice initially...otherwise visit and go with your gut!  They have been very helpful to me and have a pretty strong commitment to public service (pro bono requirement) and that is my primary interest.  Good luck!

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 11:43:07 PM »
i agree with brad.  if the cost is equal then it breaks down to where u want to spend 3 years and where u want to practice.  i did my undergrad at NIU and its a good environment, but i can't tell specifically why some prefer on over the other.  best thing to do is go visit both, sit in on some classes, talk to people, then make ur decision on that.

wrmusgro

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 10:55:50 AM »
If you like football, go to Northern Illinois. If you like basketball, go to Valpo. ;)