Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR from co-worker?  (Read 845 times)

alnashar

• View Profile
LOR from co-worker?
« on: December 08, 2004, 05:10:31 PM »
For a year and a half in college, I was a part of a really cool non-profit run by students. As such, there were no adult supervisors and I didn't have any bosses. I am thinking of getting a LOR from a co-worker who I worked with on this project. Do you think that schools would take such a letter seriously enough even though we were both students at that time? Plus, another consideration is that we both held leadership positions, so she wasn't in a position to evaluate my performance, strictly speaking.

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LOR from co-worker?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 06:43:57 PM »
That doesn't sound promising. What exactly did the non-profit group do? If, say, you volunteered at homeless shelters or hospitals or whatever, maybe somewhere there can write an LOR.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 07:11:33 PM »
I wouldn't get a LOR from a student. It might raise  questions at the schools. They might think that you couldn't get a letter from someone who typically would write a letter for you

asdar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 12:50:42 PM »
I think just the opposite. I think this could be a positive thing. The important thing is that you know what they're going to write.

I think it WOULD be a mistake if they state in the letter that they were a student with you. If they instead focus on your ability and motivation while you both volunteered together I think it makes for a good LoR.

Something along the lines of, "while soandso was working for <insert vol. organ. here> he showed exemplary work habit."

I would never ask anyone to lie, but they can only put in the important parts. I think that's what the school is looking for, references that are willing to say they vouch for you.

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 08:53:12 PM »
I don't think that's a good idea. If you're in college in should be from professors, if you have been out of college it should be from your boss or supervisor.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 08:54:13 PM »
I would go for it - but definitely don't make it one of the LORs that "counts" - maybe get two or three academic LORs and add this one as icing.  Don't make it one of the two, but I don't see how it could hurt much if it is "extra" and it would probably help if it talks about you starting a nonprofit!

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 12:16:21 PM »
There are many ways this can be done successfully.  When your LOR writer identifies himself, he needs to leave out the fact that he was a student.  Don't lie, of course.  But selective omission can help paint a much better picture.