Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: North West Law Schools  (Read 880 times)

DC Duck

North West Law Schools
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:51:50 PM »
It seems that most people on LSN and on the discussion board are looking to go to Eastern Schools...

Two questions:

1) Why do the North West Schools take so long to start reviewing applications compared to the Eastern Schools?

2) Why do you want to go to a North West School?*

*NW Schools: UW, Seattle, Gonzaga, Lewis & Clark, Oregon, Willamette

DC Duck

Re: North West Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 04:53:20 PM »
Oh, and if anyone has been accpeted or has any info on any of these places, that would be great too!

bradzwest

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 11:35:35 PM »
Got them in to Oregon, Idaho, and Wilamette.  I'm a Californian who always looked at Oregon as my ultimate settling place.  Love U of O and planned to attend as an undergrad, ended up in Berkeley.  I think public schools as a rule outside top 50 move a little slow, just a coincidence they are in the PNW I think.  Cost of living is cheap in Eugene and Salem and I love both towns.  Idaho is tiny (100 in entering class) and gives in-state tuition after first year.  Total for the whole degree around 30K.  Moscow is cute but a little near militia country for a long term stay, I'd head to Boise.  Overall I think early acceptances come from programs that want to lock up seats in competitive programs or lower tiers trying to lure very qualified students to their lower ranked programs.  Public schools that aren't in high demand or want to get a better picture of their app pool don't move as fast as others.  Boalt/Stanford/USC/Hastings obviously draw a stronger app pool than PNW schools.  Guess I'm repeating myself a little...getting a little punchy staring at the computer.  Good luck!

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 12:53:36 AM »
Bradzwest and I have already discussed this stuff, so this is primarily for the OP:

Yeah, the price is definitely right at Idaho, and it is not a bad school for a T3. It is, however, a regional school. If you want to live in the West, it's a great value. Moscow is small but scenic. If you're into the bright lights of the big city, you should not come to UI. It is, however, a surprisingly fun little town. As far as the militia, not so much a factor anymore. There used to be an Aryan Nations compound about 2 hours north of Moscow but they're dead and gone. The old compound is now a human rights memorial. That group was never popular in this state.

Boise is a wonderful place to live with a great cost of living and economy. If you go to U of Idaho, you can do your last semester in Boise.  I would definitely choose U of Idaho over Gonzaga or Willamette, just based on reputation and price.
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder

bhvexille

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 01:02:54 AM »
Anyone else find it odd that UW is soo hard to get into (chiashu) but it's numbers really aren't impressive?

bradzwest

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 01:13:01 AM »
Out of state tuition is brutal at UW...girlfriend did her undergrad there.  Think the numbers are low because they coddle in-staters?  Just a guess.

Oh, my militia crack was my way of exaggerating the lack of a firm cultural center.  I think my undergrad at CAL makes me assume that potential grad students are fully into the arts/theater etc.  I love small quiet towns...boring can be great for the GPA and stress level!

WitterUin4

• Sr. Citizen
  • How I thought of ad comms
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 01:15:25 AM »
Anyone else find it odd that UW is soo hard to get into (chiashu) but it's numbers really aren't impressive?

NO kidding!  I got their viewbook and was looking at their stats. Totally brutal. And what's with the little greenhouses all over the place?

It's a good school, I know, but what are those things?
I'm at 1L at CU Boulder