Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at University of Maryland  (Read 2445 times)

chicago108

• View Profile
In at University of Maryland
« on: December 08, 2004, 03:58:46 PM »
I was recently accepted into University of Maryland.  My first acceptance, hooray! The Director of Admissions sent me an e-mail and I got the official letter on Monday.  I'm applying only to Maryland/DC schools, since my husband has a job in the area.

What kind of reputation does U of M have in the DC area? Any general feedback about the school would also be appreciated.  Thanks.

ClaudiaM85

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: In at University of Maryland
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 04:07:33 PM »
Definitely, top 50..although baltimore isnt that great of a city o live in..

best,
claudia
Law school is overrated

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 04:10:16 PM »
Congratulations!! Must feel great to have your first one under your belt - good for you! :)

I applied to UMD too, so (if you don't mind), the typical questions: What are your numbers?  Did you receive any correspondence from them indicating that your app was complete?  If not, when did they request your LSDAS report?  

My understanding - and this is purely based on what I've heard "around," not from anyone I know to be reliable - is that if you want to work in DC proper, UMD may not be the best way to go, what with all the other top schools in DC.  Even though Maryland is technically ranked higher, I've heard that not only are the 3 Georges considered better schools by DC firms, but so are American and possibly even Catholic.  That being said, those MD grads have to work somewhere!  I need to do a little more research myself - I applied there because I live in MD (DC suburbs) so it's the only in-state option I had.  Not sure about the commute (or move) to B'more, though!
Attending: W&M

chicago108

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 05:46:50 PM »
Hey Monkey,

My stats: 3.5 GPA from Stanford, 162 LSAT, 5 years WE

I didn't receive any information about my application being complete.  I submitted it on 10/30, and it was requested roughly two weeks after.  I found out on 12/6.

That's interesting what you say about the reputation UMD has in DC.  I find it hard to believe that Catholic would have a better rep, but it partially makes sense given that they're probably more Catholic grads working in DC than UMD grads. I had a great conversation with the Director of Admissions at UMD and was impressed with the facilities and school when I visited.  I'm still waiting to hear from 13 (sigh) other schools.

Best of luck!

vmersich

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 06:18:23 PM »
Baltimore is a fine city.  A helluva lot better than DC, if you want to afford a place to live, too.

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 08:31:21 PM »
Hmmm, I don't know if most people would say Baltimore is better than DC.  But I think MD is better than Catholic and probably AU as well.  Plus, if you get in-state like I do, it's a great option.  Damn, should have applied earlier.  I'm applying to all the DC schools and MD as well.
Monkey, I also live in suburban MD (Bethesda), and would seriously warn against commuting to MD from the DC area.  My ex commuted there for pharm school from Laurel and hated it.  They've got some nice, new dorms on or near campus.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 08:37:59 PM »
Congratulations!  I'm still waiting on UMD to request my LSDAS report (I just applied, though).

The commute to Baltimore from DC might be troublesome - although the traffic is usually going in the other direction based on my experience, so you might be okay.  If you choose to move, I would look into campus options first.  That said, there are some nice areas in Baltimore if you want to look on your own - just talk to people first to get a feel for the safest places.

echo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 09:36:41 PM »
havent heard anything from maryland and i applied back in october. do these schools typically send out acceptance emails in one batch or might more be on the way tomorrow?

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »
Monkey, I also live in suburban MD (Bethesda), and would seriously warn against commuting to MD from the DC area.  My ex commuted there for pharm school from Laurel and hated it.  They've got some nice, new dorms on or near campus.

Yeah, I live in "North Bethesda" (aka Rockville) and there's actually no way in hell I'm commuting to Baltimore :); just didn't want to put it so bluntly earlier.  I have a friend who lives up there and commutes to Reston (!) a couple times a week, and needless to say, it's a nightmare both ways.  Yes, I'm closer, and yes, I'm going in the opposite direction...but still, no dice.  Why, UMD, can't your law school be in College Park?? :)
Attending: W&M

Junglelnd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 01:55:46 PM »
Congratulations -- I love Baltimore, but its a city that grows on you.  I went undergrad and initially hated it.  Now I work in DC and miss it like you wouldn't believe. 

In fact, the fact that Maryland's campus is in Charm City is the real reason that i'm applying there.
167 3.45(3.34)
Accepted: GMU, UGA, UMD, Catholic, GWU, American
Waitlisted: GULC-FT, Vandy
Pending: Fordham (late addition)