Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at University of Maryland  (Read 2455 times)

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In at University of Maryland
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »
Congratulations -- I love Baltimore, but its a city that grows on you.  I went undergrad and initially hated it.  Now I work in DC and miss it like you wouldn't believe. 

In fact, the fact that Maryland's campus is in Charm City is the real reason that i'm applying there.

I really do like Baltimore; don't take my earlier post the wrong way.  It's a fun city.  But I own my condo in Rockville and would prefer not to have to rent it out and move.  (Although, never say never...) My issue is just with the commute. 
Attending: W&M

GoHuskies05

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 03:00:20 PM »
The commute into Baltimore from anywhere is not going to be pretty.  If you own a place and you can't sell it, I dunno what to tell you.

I don't think UMD places all that well in DC, but if you look on NALP Directory you will see that a lot of good DC firms interview at UMD. 

When I first moved to the area I lived in Canton (which is in Baltimore City) and I hated it, but I think most of that had to do with the culture shock coming from Seattle.  I moved to DC for a year and now I live in Bethesda. 

Having been in the area and lived in both DC and Baltimore, I think they're just too different to compare.  The people are so different, as DC has a much more international vibe.  The industries are very different (which is probably why the people are so different) as Baltimore is really hurting with the exception of Hopkins and DC has all the political and government work.  Baltimore has a lot to offer though - great, CHEAP food from all over the world, museums, friendly, non pretencious bars.  Many East Coasters seem to look down upon it, but those are just Northeast elitists who like looking down on everything.  I think it's a great city and it's definitely coming back because they have a good mayor.  Here's to Baltimore. 

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 03:10:35 PM »
<<If you own a place and you can't sell it, I dunno what to tell you.>>

Luckily, the DC market is insane, so I could sell it and do quite well - but I've got to live somewhere, and while moving to B'more is definitely cheaper than DC, the amount I'd be saving would be less than the appreciation I'll see on my condo over the next 3 years, so I definitely don't want to sell.  Sorry to hijack the thread, just clarifying my earlier post (like anyone cares)... :) 

Anyway - your point about the NALP Directory is a great one.  Anyone know if UMD's career services office is known to be especially strong?

Doubledown Trent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 05:43:50 PM »
From what I hear, their career services isn't considered very strong.  But the school does seem to genuinely care about improving their school and prestige.  I know that the undergrad has seen a rise in its reputation so maybe the law school will follow.
There are no stupid questions - just stupid people who ask questions.
Attending in the fall: GW

birdysails

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 08:51:04 PM »
havent heard anything from maryland and i applied back in october. do these schools typically send out acceptance emails in one batch or might more be on the way tomorrow?

I applied in october too.  never got an email but got an acceptance letter yesterday.  163/3.6.  good luck!
Going to William & Mary!

Thumbellina

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 12:01:43 AM »
Congrats! I just got my file complete e-mail from there today.  It's an amazing school, and every lawyer I've talked to has only good things to say about it.  It seems to have a really great rep.
3.77/161
In: Miami, Hofstra ($20k a year), Wayne State, Michigan State, Detroit Mercy, Cooley (85% scholarship)

phishie

• GPA: 3.26, LSAT: 158 (Info is on LSN)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 09:35:08 AM »
I received an email from UMD yesterday (12/9) asking me to verify if information that they had recorded about me was accurate.  It did not say when I would hear back.  Did anyone else get this email...or are they just sending it to people that they are going to reject?  Their application process doesn't seem to make any sense.
Schools pending: Emory, Wake Forest

Schools accepted so far:  Miami, GSU

School(s) deferred:  UVA

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 10:08:48 AM »
I received an email from UMD yesterday (12/9) asking me to verify if information that they had recorded about me was accurate.  It did not say when I would hear back.  Did anyone else get this email...or are they just sending it to people that they are going to reject?  Their application process doesn't seem to make any sense.

I got the same e-mail yesterday, and while I'm not an auto-admit at MD, I don't think I'm an auto-ding either (hopefully!), so I'm just taking it as a sign of progress on my app - nothing more, nothing less.

Junglelnd

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 11:00:17 AM »
I got the same e-mail asking that I confirm my info was correct.  It was.
167 3.45(3.34)
Accepted: GMU, UGA, UMD, Catholic, GWU, American
Waitlisted: GULC-FT, Vandy
Pending: Fordham (late addition)

IrishGuyJay

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 11:18:16 AM »

I got the email the morning.  I'm a MD resident with a 3.8 and 164 so I highly doubt that I'm an auto-ding.  I think they just wanted to verify our info; I wouldn't read too much into it.