Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Other Harvard 1Ls?  (Read 18813 times)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Other Harvard 1Ls?
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2005, 12:32:43 AM »
actually, I didn't think that gropius was *that* bad.  I was looking forward to the social aspect.  it'll be great fun!

Anyone know what the deal is with the housing lottery? Have dorm rooms been assigned? I entered the lottery but haven't heard anything from them -- at least not by e-mail.

I got my housing assignment in the mail today.  Gropius, here I come!

which one did you get?  i got holmes... maybe its just me and my low standards, but the gropius dorms don't seem that bad.

i heard one of them was getting remodeled over the summer, anybody know which one?

also, did anybody else get an email from a HLS prof?  or do they just love me extra  ;D

That 70s Guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2005, 09:44:11 PM »
Hi Funkmonk - I also received an email from Gerken - was pretty cool - did you respond?  Ask about research? etc?
the despotism of custom is everywhere the standing hindrance to human advancement.
- J.S.Mill

funkmonk

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2005, 10:04:22 PM »
Hi Funkmonk - I also received an email from Gerken - was pretty cool - did you respond?  Ask about research? etc?

yea, i responded and said thank you... didn't really have any questions that i wanted to bother her with though  :P  and here i was, thinking i was special  :-[  ;)

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2005, 04:05:23 PM »
I thought this contribution from The Onion was pretty funny. Check it out: http://www.theonion.com/try_harvard_jump.html. I'm looking forward to seeing you all in the fall! Woo hoo!
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

Hickey

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2005, 06:15:49 PM »
Ya - I'm living off campus because I was pretty over dorm life after my freshman year of college.  There's plenty of available places right around HLS, it's mostly a matter of finding people you want to live with and a place that works.  A room in a pretty nice 2 or 3 bedroom apt will run you +/- 800 in the area.  I'm looking for a place while I'm in LA (which mostly involves craiglist), but there are plenty of other grad students and 20-somethings who need someone to move in around there.  Worst case scenario, I can always move.

-B

Trevor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • T Sinister
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2005, 06:03:30 AM »
Yo ep, I'll be in Ames too, first floor.

Apparently, the floor is coed, but I have to go upstairs to use the bahroom...  ???

ormachea

« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2005, 03:20:24 AM »
Well, a 1 bedroom apartment within a 10 minute walk of the law school will run you at least 1200 bucks. Thinking about it, I'd much rather pay the 300+ bucks to have more room.

That's not as bad as I feared, especially when split with my SO

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »
Anyone planning to buy an IBM T series or X series through HLS?

What are you guys getting?

How do you think the packages and discounts they're offering through Harvard compare to other brands/models avaliable out there?
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

ormachea

« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2005, 03:27:48 PM »
I ended up just picking up a dell and a 3-year home service plan.

There was a problem with my screen when it arrived, and it only took them 2 days to get the new part to me and have a technician install it.

Got to say, their home repair seems fantastic.

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2005, 02:57:56 PM »
Anyone planning to buy an IBM T series or X series through HLS?

What are you guys getting?

How do you think the packages and discounts they're offering through Harvard compare to other brands/models avaliable out there?

I got an X41 with an upgrade to 1 GB of RAM. I priced ultraportables with the same specs from Dell and Apple and found that, with the HLS discount, the IBM was well within range. I didn't spring for on-site repair because the Harvard tech department can do repairs on IBM's (and Apples, Dells, HP's, and a few other manufacturers). So, if I have a problem, I can just take it across campus. I did, however, go for the three-year ThinkPad protection because I will spill at least one glass of water on this machine during the next three years. :)
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale