Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: im desperate...well almost  (Read 2651 times)

jenjen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: im desperate...well almost
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2004, 05:21:12 PM »
The reason Im really worried is for afterwards. Im working right now at a law firm with lawyers from standford. All the time that we work with loyola lawyers, they all have a preconceived ideas of the podunk school lawyers, money naking wannabees.
I thought also that with my numbers I would get in some of the schools i applied to, since im borderline, but i guess not.
This is much worse than undergrad apps. and I wish to you all the best of luck.
I am really happy with the full ride, but I guess we'll see what happens

Thank you all

thechoson

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2004, 05:26:30 PM »
The reason Im really worried is for afterwards. Im working right now at a law firm with lawyers from standford. All the time that we work with loyola lawyers, they all have a preconceived ideas of the podunk school lawyers, money naking wannabees.
I thought also that with my numbers I would get in some of the schools i applied to, since im borderline, but i guess not.

Thank you all

I think this is kind of representative of the sorry state law schools apps has gotten to be.  When the only option is 1st tier schools, and everything else is doomed to failure.  I feel bad you are in that environment, Jen Jen, and you're feeling that way.  Hopefully you will go to Loyola and love it!

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2004, 05:26:59 PM »

Thank you all

If you have an attny there who is an alum from one of your pending schools, then it couldn't hurt to have him/her write you a letter of reccomendation, if they'd do it.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

altrnet18

• Heading to Hastings
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2004, 05:28:13 PM »
Don't worry about what those Stanford grads think. Snobbery exists everywhere, in almost any profession that you can imagine. Zpops posted that out on the East Coast, a sense of snobbery exists towards Stanford law grads. Unless you go to Yale or Harvard, it seems that some fools will always think they're better than you.

Stop being so concerned with what others think. It'll make life a lot less stressful  ;)

thechoson

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2004, 05:35:35 PM »
Those Stanford people will make fun of you anyways, even if you go to UCLA or USC.  That's just the way it is. 
I know someone who is attending UCLA Law.  She's not in the top 50 percent, and she says things look bleak for her.  She says she will probably be passed over for jobs from student in the top half at Loyola, and maybe even those in the top 15-25 percent at Southwestern.
Remember that even UCLA is a regional school. You probably want to stay in California. If you want to be in LA, doing well at Loyola will give you as many opportunities as UCLA.

DOWNY

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2004, 11:38:03 PM »
Stanford sucks. Only Yale is good. Well, Harvard is alright, too.

kevinc

• GPA: 3.69, LSAT:165
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2004, 09:11:24 AM »
Those Stanford people will make fun of you anyways, even if you go to UCLA or USC.  That's just the way it is. 

Don't worry about what those Stanford grads think. Snobbery exists everywhere, in almost any profession that you can imagine.

i agree with both thechoson and altrnet18. even if you do go to ucla/usc, you'll still hear snobby comments from stanford grads.

heck i went to berkeley, which is a pretty well-regarded school, for my undergrad but i still got crap from my stanford friends who would blow off berkeley as a school for "stanford rejects." heck, they all claimed that berkeley was their back-up school.

in the end, prestige can only take you so far. 20 years downs the line, no one'll care whether you graduated from loyola or ucla. what'll matter is the reputation you've built up as an attorney.

but i should add as a caveat that if you plan on clerking for a supreme court justice or if you plan on teaching at a really prestigious law school, then you might have some cause for concern. but if you aren't headed in those two directions, then you shouldn't worry.

good luck!

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2004, 10:26:05 AM »
JenJen,

You would be a fool to pass up a full ride at Loyola.  Loyola grads place just as well as UCLA and USC grads at the top law firms in LA and Loyola is known to have a very loyal alumni base.  I'm a UCLA grad as well and a few of my friends chose the full ride at Loyola over footing the bill at USC.  I know for a fact that they are all doing very well with their careers and making over six figures at the top law firms in Los Angeles.  Good luck with your decision. 

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2004, 10:52:35 AM »
Take it from someone who spent 10+ years looking for "something better" and being disappointed about where I was in my career, take advantage of the best opportunity before you at this time.  Make the best of your situation and be proud of what you have accomplished not ashamed of what you did not do. 

If I had been given that advice when I left undergrad, and had the brains to listen to it, I would be in a much better spot im my mid 30's.

You have $90K in the plus column and some shoulda coulda wouldas in the negative column.  Focus on the positive, graduate top 10% of your class with no or almost no debt down the road.  That will put you years ahead of the average law grad.

Good luck.

kevinc

• GPA: 3.69, LSAT:165
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2004, 10:54:10 AM »
just some food for thought. i found this off leiter's website:
http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/03_most_national.html

"On the opposite coast, the elite Los Angeles firm of O’Melveny & Myers does have a search engine similar to Cravath which makes it possible to determine where O’Melveny goes to hire legal talent.  All schools with at least 3 attorneys in the LA office are listed.

Rank/School/# of O’Melveny Attorneys
1 Harvard University 32
  Loyola Law School, Los Angeles  32
3 Univ. of California, Los Angeles 29
4 Univ. of California, Berkeley 19
5 University of Southern California 17
6 Yale University 14
7 Stanford University 13
8 Univ. of California, Hastings 10
9 Columbia University 7
  University of Virginia 7
11 University of Michigan 6
12 Georgetown University 5
   New York University 5
   Southwestern University 5
   University of Oregon 5
   University of Texas, Austin 5
17 George Washington University 4
   Pepperdine University 4
   University of Washington, Seattle 4
20 Cornell University 3
   Duke University 3
   Northwestern University 3
   University of Chicago 3"

Loyola ties with Harvard at that firm, and beats out UCLA, USC, Berkeley and Stanford!