Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone remember this flaw question  (Read 690 times)

AmbitV

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone remember this flaw question
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:55:49 PM »
I don't remember the stimulus at all, but I do remember the stimulus totally led you to prephrase an ad hominem flaw (i.e. he attacks the character of his opponent instead of the reasoning)

But when you look the answer choices, surprisingly there was no such answer choice.  The correct answer (I think) was E, and was strangely worded.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone remember this flaw question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 01:05:34 PM »
julie has no flaws.  julie pretty!

duderbrain

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 01:09:27 PM »
I remember the situation you refer to. It was one those weird LSAT tricks where after reading the stimulus you totally knew what you were looking for but the correct answer (I've noticed that most other choices are almost always very obviously wrong, just to @#!* with you) was worded so strangley that you couldn't make sense of it thus forcing you to discount it. For what it's worth, I'm 99% sure I picked "E" as well but I can't for the life of me remember specifics about the q.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:30:08 PM »
ok, do you remember anything about the question. Maybe the subject matter?
Attending: Northwestern School of Law

BM2004

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 02:35:28 PM »
Was the question about an anonymous letter to the editor - and the speaker was attacking the fact that it was anonymous and not the content of the letter - so the flaw was something about diverting the argument from the content to the way it was delivered ... I may be remembering a prep test question.

lawguru

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 02:38:09 PM »
wasn't there one question where the author was attacking the motives, rather than teh reasoning?!

woogu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »
Wasn't the one with the letter

Like because Judy didnt think it was someones handwriting, he couldnt have been part of the note writing

And the answer is like the author assumes that only one person wrote it or something

BM2004

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 03:06:22 PM »
Nope that wasn't the letter one I remembered - but I may have been remembering a question from the experimental section or a prep test - it was about how a speaker was criticizing the fact that the writers of a letter to the editor chose to remain anonymous instead of criticizing the substance of their argument.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 03:06:33 PM »
i dont think the one about anonymous letters/newspaper sources was a method of reasoning question.  the stimulus said something like "if we recieve a letter that is unsigned, we do not trust the validity of its content, so why is it that we will accept the validity of a newspaper article that quotes anonymous sources?"

Monalisa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 04:39:23 PM »
i remember the question about anonymous letter and i had just 2 LR so that wasn't experimental. i don't remember any darn choice on it nor my answer though