In @ Widener

Re: In @ Widener
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 08:49:59 PM »
Congrads Twarga  ;D

With that LSAT, its no big suprise. Thats WAY over their 75% LSAT

twarga

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2005, 03:47:14 AM »
I got in at Widener, too (full ride), and I think I'm going to take it.  See you in the fall.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2005, 06:21:31 AM »
I got in at Widener, too (full ride), and I think I'm going to take it.  See you in the fall.

Congratulations on your acceptance, full scholarship, and decision!  I am still waiting on my other decisions (all 8 of them) but who knows, maybe I'll see you in the fall!

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »
Congrats everyone on your acceptances.

Three quick questions...

1.  When a school like Widener gives someone a scholarship, do they say so in the acceptance letter or does a separate letter come in the mail?

2.  What is the Widener (DE) campus like?  Are the buildings/classrooms nice, or is it sort of bland?  Any details from your campus visits would be appreciated?

3.  What is the city of Wilmington, and the surrounding area(s) like?

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2005, 07:06:33 PM »
In at Widener with full tuition, and planning to accept.  I called early in the week and got the usual "A decision has been made and a letter mailed out" response, but it was a very friendly one!  The acceptance was postmarked the day after my call, however.  Who knows -- maybe it's a mail processing lag, maybe they're mailing letters when we call to pester.

Hurley, in response to your questions:

1.  My scholarship offer was right in the acceptance, and I think most of the people who have heard back from Widener with scholarship offers have gotten them in the letter.  Widener's policy, I believe, says scholarship offers come "at or soon after" admissions, so I don't know if this is always the case for everyone.

2.  The Widener DE campus is this weird, lovely oasis of trees in the middle of a road full of strip malls.  Quite pretty -- twarga wasn't kidding when she said elsewhere on the board that she fell in love.  The buildings and classrooms are mostly new and nicely done -- ampitheater-style seating with laptop outlets at every chair and so forth.  Some of the older buildings are a bit bland, but I feel that the main law building is very inviting.  On the other hand, I have not been to many other non-urban law school campuses, so I don't have much of a basis of comparison.

3.  Widener is located in north Wilmington, which is not at all like Wilmington proper.  The road along which the campus is located (Route 202) is overdeveloped (I remember when there was barely anything along it!), but in terms of living conveniently in law school, it actually seems to be a benefit -- you're minutes from a small mall, multiple Evil Chain Bookstores With Unhealthy Coffee, Target, Trader Joe's, and lots of food options from cheap but good pizza to upscale Asian fusion.  And the campus really manages to seem wooded miles away from all this, despite being smack dab in the midst of it.  (The campus and the whole area are very safe...even though it says Wilmington, it's not really in the "city of Wilmington" part of Wilmington.)

The wider area of north Wilmington is mostly upscale suburbs, with some okay museums, gardens, and things to do, many of which are related to the history of the DuPont family and company.  Wilmington proper is not terribly exciting compared to larger cities, although the Riverfront Gentrification Project (not its actual name) is creating a district with shopping, food, and a good museum not too far from the campus.  You can pick up I-95 from near Widener and be in Philly or Baltimore in not much time.

Delaware has its own sort of pace and lifestyle, which is somewhat hard to convey -- and perhaps another resident will do a better job.  Moving half an hour outside Wilmington from a major city, my family had trouble adjusting to the fact that you can't, like, stumble out of the house one evening and just spontaneously decide to take in a show or go to a club -- that's slowly been changing, but to a certain extent there is still a lack of Fun Stuff For 20-30somethings.  On the other hand, there are some great Delaware traditions, like heading down to the beautiful beaches for the weekend on a whim (2 hours' drive or less!), that can't be matched.

ETA: it occurs to me that I should mention that you can live *very* affordably in Delaware -- no sales tax, and rents generally aren't horrendous.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2005, 06:33:22 AM »
That's a good assessment of DE.  You wouldn't have to live in DE though, because it's a private school, with not 'in state' or out of state tuition.  West Chester, PA is a likely target for housing, since it is a very small city, more like a large town, with beautiful colonial architecture, art galleries, indie coffee shops, zagat rated dining options, and a very very busy nightlife (my girlfriend lives there).

That's about 15-20 mins. from campus.  The campus is nice and functional, but for me, not inspirational.  There is nothing wrong with it at all, and the main law building is osmewhat new, it's a nice campus I suppose.  It is located on 202, which is just one strip mall after another.

Wilmington itself is a ghost town after 5 PM.  Last time I was there with my girlfriend was to see David Sedaris on a speaknig engagement at the Grand Opera House.  Nice facility, but there was almost NOWHERE to get a bite to eat, and a dude on the street told my gf to hold onto her bag becuase people will attack her for it there.  Nice vibe.  Totally desolate and creepy.  Very creepy.  But again, this shouldn't impact anyone's choice, the school has little to do with Wilmington, proper.

twarga

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2005, 07:09:52 AM »
The thing that clinched it for me with Widener is the housing.  I live about 50 minutes away in Dover with my husband and kids and I'm getting a dorm room so I don't have to schlep up and back every day.  Parking on campus is FREE (I know I keep saying that, but that's pretty rare).  The idea of rolling out of bed 10 minutes before class starts and walking 25 yds to class is a whole lot more appealing to me than driving in from some off-campus apartment.  And it's only $3,400 per year (or something like that) which is pretty cheap and furnished.

Everything said about Wilmington/Widener campus is also true, and a big selling point, as well.  My family could come up for the day and we could walk around campus or go to the mall, Chuck E. Cheese, whatever. 

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2005, 12:30:53 PM »
Downtown Wilmington's not that bad.  I lived and worked downtown for 2 years - there are several new bars and restaurants - and it's a short walk to Trolley Square - where you will find all of the 20 and 30 somethings.  It was a big adjustment moving there from Chicago - but I wouldn't describe it as desolate.  And I never felt unsafe - especially compared to living in Chicago.  Wilmington grows on you - I'm in law school in the midwest, but I plan on working in Wilmington this summer (assuming I get an offer).

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2005, 02:09:35 PM »
Yes, this is exactly what I was going to add -- although like any city you can find vast differences within a few blocks, there are several very fine, fun areas in Wilmington, including Trolley Square and the Loop.  And right around where many of the major office buildings are is nice and has seemed perfectly safe the times I've been there at night.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2005, 02:30:46 PM »
Yes, this is exactly what I was going to add -- although like any city you can find vast differences within a few blocks, there are several very fine, fun areas in Wilmington, including Trolley Square and the Loop.  And right around where many of the major office buildings are is nice and has seemed perfectly safe the times I've been there at night.

Honestly, then, what is wrong with the area around the Grand Opera House -- I'm not joking -- it sucked in that neighborhood, and it was only 7PM.  We managed to eat a place called National -- an Asian Fusion restaraunt -- not a bad spot, but that's all the city is going to have near one of the main attractions?  How close is that to Trolley Square?