Law School Discussion

Cheating on the LSAT

jgruber

Re: Cheating on the LSAT
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »
You need to be more careful with your words especially if you are going to be a lawyer.

The test that is administered after the first test is called -- I believe -- the Saturday Sabbath test and is not limited to Jews. It is anyone who's beliefs don't allow them to take a test on Saturday.  That would include a number of Christian denominations, among others.

Speaking of cheating, does anyone know if the Jews take the same test as the rest of us???

If so, it would seem to me that there is much room for cheating since they take the test two days later than everyone else...a person taking it two days later could very easily find out what questions were on the test and have two days to study them.

Just something I've always wondered about.

SpeakerDave

• 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2004, 09:26:04 AM »
I can speak for "the Jews" -- it is the same test.  There is actually a group of us who got together and devised a plan.  One guy took the saturday test under a false name, with a fake ID, and an artificial thumbprint like the ones they use in the movies.  In the middle of the test, he ran out with the booklet. 

Then for $250 you could purchase a copy of the test on Sunday. 

I was scoring around 140-145 on my practice tests and I got a 161 because I saw the test the night before I took the LSAT on Monday.

laughable....just laughable.

It's been going on for years.  It's all part of the secret plan to take over the world.

nathanielmark

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2004, 09:32:08 AM »

Well Dave, to be fair, people have exploited the different time zones to get an advantage so its not an illegitimate question.  its just unfortunate that he phrased it in the way he did with the obvious Jewish conspiracy implication.

I can speak for "the Jews" -- it is the same test.  There is actually a group of us who got together and devised a plan.  One guy took the saturday test under a false name, with a fake ID, and an artificial thumbprint like the ones they use in the movies.  In the middle of the test, he ran out with the booklet. 

Then for $250 you could purchase a copy of the test on Sunday. 

I was scoring around 140-145 on my practice tests and I got a 161 because I saw the test the night before I took the LSAT on Monday.

laughable....just laughable.

It's been going on for years.  It's all part of the secret plan to take over the world.

SpeakerDave

• 3.35 / 161
    • View Profile
    • SpeakerDave
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2004, 09:53:51 AM »
It's moronic to think that the test is the same to begin with. 

The whole Hawaii exploitation of the time zones is a one time thing that really isn't very feasible at all anyway...plus, they got caught.

The question wasn't asked with any sensitivity, and I don't really care about that...but it's just stupid to think that LSAC is so lost that they wouldn't change the test for the Sabbath Observers.

nathanielmark

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2004, 10:09:48 AM »
Actually, i am pretty sure they do change it.  i know one of the new LSAT books being released contains tests from dates only 2 days apart in Feb of 2000, so that would probably be the general and sabbath tests.

as for the Hawaii timezone exploitation.  i wouldnt call it a one time thing. if people got away with it how would we ever find out?  We know about the 1 incident because they got caught.  with all the new minicameras and everything else available now id be shocked if nobody else tried anything similar.

It's moronic to think that the test is the same to begin with. 

The whole Hawaii exploitation of the time zones is a one time thing that really isn't very feasible at all anyway...plus, they got caught.

The question wasn't asked with any sensitivity, and I don't really care about that...but it's just stupid to think that LSAC is so lost that they wouldn't change the test for the Sabbath Observers.

jgruber

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2004, 11:43:05 AM »
I have a copy of the February test.  I photographed it.  I'm going to offer it for sale on ebay next year.  I wanted it to age first.

;D

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2004, 12:12:42 PM »
Your comment is extremely rude and offensive!!!  First of all, please do not imply that ALL Jews take a different test then the rest of "US".  Second of all "THE JEWS" are not the only group of people whose holy day is Saturday.  But to answer your question, Saturday test takers do get a different exam as far as I know.

Speaking of cheating, does anyone know if the Jews take the same test as the rest of us???

If so, it would seem to me that there is much room for cheating since they take the test two days later than everyone else...a person taking it two days later could very easily find out what questions were on the test and have two days to study them.

Just something I've always wondered about.

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2004, 09:05:41 PM »
Hey all...I'm JohnBoy under a different name....

Sorry if I offended anyone by my use of the term "the Jews" to describe the Jews...I guess the politically correct way of putting it would have been "persons of Jewish faith" ::)...

I am not anti-semetic and I've honestly never understood what it is that some people have against Jews...the fact that someone I know is Jewish never even shows up on my radar to be honest...

I think that it's unfortunate that in today's world, a person can be so not prejudice that their lack of political correctness can be easily mistaken for prejudice...it was my mistake for not taking this fact into account

I was honestly unaware that there were other religions that keep one from taking a test on Saturday...I was also under the impression that the Monday test was created primarily to accomodate those of Jewish faith...perhaps that was a false assumption on my part...

Either way, I agree with NathanielMark that the Hawaii thing has probably happened more times than we know about....the risk/reward seems to be favorable for those comfortable with cheating and we honestly wouldn't know about the ones who never got caught

Perhaps Ivy league schools need to start doing background checks on the recent travels of applicants with a high LSAT scores...it is the only way to stop the conspiracy!!!! ::) :P ;D

P.S. My new board name has nothing to do with the Christian faith....those of you firmiliar with Cohen brothers movies are probably aware of this ;D

jgruber

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2004, 10:08:22 AM »

Sorry if I offended anyone by my use of the term "the Jews" to describe the Jews...I guess the politically correct way of putting it would have been "persons of Jewish faith" ::)...

persons of Jewish faith doesn't help.  It's not a matter of being politically correct -- which many people take to mean using the right words -- it's a matter of not generalizing.  It's also about not being aware that there are more than just Jews who practice the Saturday sabbath.

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2004, 06:19:34 PM »
lol you might even?

Hell I would probably sleep with the right man to ensure a good score... and im a straight guy!
HAHAHA I am with you on that one.

As far as the awnsers on pencil things goes.... i heard about that... i heard people paid 6000 bucks for those pencils but they ultimately got caught.

Anyways, the best way to cheat on the LSAT wouldnt be paying someone else to take it, since they take your finger prints before the bar exams and match it to your prints for the LSAT.

However, the best way to cheat would be to bribe a test maker or someone who works with the LSAC to put a high score for you in thier system... I dont think it is that difficult. Bribing happens in every day society all the time... Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians, buisnessmen, are all people found to take bribes every day.