Law School Discussion

Cheating on the LSAT

Louder Than Bombs

Re: Cheating on the LSAT
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 12:43:47 PM »
I've never heard of the test being given without fingerprinting the testers.  I guess it could have just started in 2003 though. . .

I was not fingerprinted...when I started teaching the course for Kaplan, I was instructed to talk about what happens before the exam, including the fingerptinting...I thought it sounded a bit strange, but I guess that is the procedure now.

Chris

dta

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 01:00:16 PM »
My LSAT admissions ticket for the test this June (2004) has two large squares on it with "thumb prints here" written below it. So, I'm pretty sure everyone at my test center at least will be fingerprinted.

Maybe there wasn't fingerprinting in the past, but it definitely looks like that's changed now. Maybe in response to the rampant cheating the thread initiator was talking about. But, given the fact that you're fingerpinted both for the LSAT now and the BAR exam it seems way too sketchy to try and cheat via the "hired gun" method. You'd have to make sure your hired gun will not die or otherwise go out of communication between the LSAT and the BAR exam, that he/she will ace the BAR in your state as well as the LSAT, and that he/she will not suddenly blackmail you for a crap-load of money to take the BAR for you now that you're in up to your neck.

If I was going to cheat, the best way would be to exploit the time zone difference. Have someone take it on the east coast and wear a tiny camera and take a picture of every single page of the LSAT. Then, email the digital photos to you at your hotel in Hawaii where you plan to take the exam. You've got a couple hours to review the material.

Some guys tried something similiar to this recently but got busted. They were idiots. After reading about it, it really could have worked if they weren't so dumb. Their first big mistake, they used a time difference only between California and Hawaii instead of Hawaii and the east coast. Second, the guy in California left in the middle of the exam and ran off with the physical exam itself, thus drawing great attention to himself. Third, the guy in California transmitted the actual answers to the guy in Hawaii (e.g., 1. A, 2. B, etc.) rather than digital photos of the test material itself.

I think the above cheating strategy would be pretty foolproof if you eliminate the mistakes of their poorly executed plan.

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 01:25:26 PM »
The only problem I see with your plan is that you'd get a 180, and thereby open yourself up to the possibility of a forced retest.  I'd imagine that anyone who took the test, scored perfect or nearly perfect, and had no eraser marks and perfectly drawn diagrams, etc would be likely to get flagged. 

dta

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 01:36:12 PM »
I would have specifically avoided such a "flagging". That was the problem with the approach of the guys just sending the answers to hawaii. After receiving the email with the digital photos from my accomplice on the east coast, here's exactly what I would do -

read all the LG games, but NONE of the questions. Just understand the games well enough so that I know the setup and derivations cold. But don't look at any questions. That way, there will not only be the setup I write on my exam but legit "real time" work I perform on each question. The kind of stuff you can't fake.

Similiarly with the reading comp - i would read each of the reading comp passages several times so I was intimately familiar with each but not look at any of the questions. That way, I could spend all the time I usually spend just reading the passage instead marking it up (circling names, etc.) then jump right to the questions.

I wouldn't even look at any of the LR sections my accomplice sent me. I want to stay away from a 180 and I want to have some mistakes show up that I don't have to "manufacture" and that seem artificial. Besides, with the above approach for the LG and RC sections I will have already drastically improved my score by 5-7 points.

That's the downfall of most cheaters - they are greedy. If they see a way to cheat and improve their score they are going to push that cheating method all the way to maximize their gains as much as possible. A 'responsible' cheater, one with enough self control and one not ruled by greed, could follow the above approach (if he has an accomplice on the east coast) to artifically improve his score by 5-7 points with very little risk of getting caught.

zpops

• View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 01:40:02 PM »
I think you plan seems reasonable.  But one other thing to consider is nerves.

zpops

• View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2004, 02:03:24 PM »
I think that stress is normal, but there's a difference between stressed out over taking the test and stressed out over an act of cheating which could ruin your entire prospective career. . .

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2004, 02:12:10 PM »
Isn't there some service that basically has top scorers take the test the same day as you do, and when you leave the exam you go back to them immedietly to basically find out your score that same day?  The end result being, if you didn't do as well as you wanted to you could cancel your exam and thus not have a bad score on your records.

Funniest/Craziest Thing I've Ever Heard!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2004, 05:49:09 PM »
The machines have an algorithm based off of average and mean lead darkness, and they flag outliers in either direction, I believe. The tests could all be scored in a matter of days if it wasn't for the flagging process. I think that stress is normal, but there's a difference between stressed out over taking the test and stressed out over an act of cheating which could ruin your entire prospective career...

HAHAHA!

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 06:14:14 PM »
I have to LOL at that, efgeg. Obviously "zpops" is trying to make people who are taking LSAT paranoid when recording answers so that they will spend too much time on that. And anyway, what the hel* is this 175 guy doing here? He should mind his own business by now. Go away, zpops!

zpops

• View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 07:03:20 PM »
I have to LOL at that, efgeg. Obviously "zpops" is trying to make people who are taking LSAT paranoid when recording answers so that they will spend too much time on that. And anyway, what the hel* is this 175 guy doing here? He should mind his own business by now. Go away, zpops!

Yes sonata, that's exactly what I'm doing.  I can't believe you figured out my evil plan to lower the scores of people who will be applying in the next application cycle, long after I've already started my law school career.  Since you're smart enough to outsmart a "175 guy" I guess you shouldn't be here either.

I also loved your little comment in the LSAT = LWAC thread, "No, it's just a fact. Many black people stink too. Some Latinos idem."  I hope for your and our sake that this is just some immature little prank, perpetrated by someone with the maturity level of a 12 year old.  If this isn't a joke account, then I just hope your ridiculous attitude comes out in your apps, and you don't get accepted to any schools.