Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about cancelling score  (Read 1539 times)

aroca

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Thinking about cancelling score
« on: December 08, 2004, 09:39:17 AM »
ok i took the exam last saturday......and i think after figuring out which section was the experimental section that I should cancel my scores.....
I found the games difficult for some reason despite teh fact that ive heard from many ppl that it was quite easy so i know i did not do well on that section at all
also my best LF turned out to be the experimental so that was pointless because i think i did so so on the other 2 LRs
I think my RC went fine but not enough to compensate for the rest of hte sections.....
Im scared ill get a 150 but im scared if i cancel and retake in FEB it will be too late to be considered for law school since by then many seats have already been taken.
any advice as to whether i should cancel my scores and how slim my chances are at getting in if i apply in February???

cutcut

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 349
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about cancelling score
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 09:47:26 AM »
For what it's worth, I thought I completely bombed the games in October, but got much higher than my imagined "best-case" score. On the other hand, I missed many more than I thought I had on the RC and LR. It's hard to predict. From all accounts, though, taking the LSAT in Feb will hurt your chances for admission this year.
[insert clever quote here]
************************************************************
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

piggy-buttercup

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 397
  • hi!
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about cancelling score
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:56:43 AM »
it all depends on what you want.

for me, it was a decision between weather i wanna go to law school (no matter wut skool i get into) next year v.s. getting into certain schools with particular rankings and all that.

i also took the dec. test. and i just sent in my cancellation request and just got it confirmed.

i also bombed the games section. lost my easy 5 points on the first game cause I freaked out and for the rules mixed up. though i don't remember too well, don't think i did all that superb for the third game v- maybe three out from that.

other sections - assuming 10 questions wrong in total (in the worst case - those were the number of questions i couldn't go back and check for cause i was rushing out of time)

so in my brief analysis - came down to about -18 points. which would very well suit into low 160s. which is not a bad score at all, but I felt it was not good enough for the schools I was aiming for.

I consulted a lot of people before I made my decision - people on this board(thank you all so much), close friends, professors, etc

They had differing opinions, but a lot of them said if it was the case I freaked out and did not optimize my potential - cancel the thing and retake it in June. maybe study a little more.

I know a lot of "what ifs" are there. It killed me to think - what if I got something like 168 - or what if I really screwed up and something like 155.

The important thing to remember is that the score is attached to your permanant record if you don't cancel.

It probably is too early to tell, but I think I made a wise decision, based on my goals and needs.

Think about this very carefully - make a realistic analysis.

it's really gonna suck to live in the "la la lsat land" for six more months... hopefully it will pass by quick...

aroca

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about cancelling score
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:32:33 AM »
My main concern is that i want to get into law school next fall no matter where

im applying to Catholic, American and George Washington (of which I am an alumni)

im hoping that at least Catholic will accept since their criteria is very low however, w/o at least a 154 on my lSAT my chances are slim

some ppl tell me because I am hispanic it will help me out but im not sure by how much...

soo basically i just really want to go into law school next fall and this is my priority....if my chances will be lowered by taking the feb exam well then i guess ill just have to pray i got a 154 :S

rk83

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 136
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about cancelling score
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »
Hard to say.

American and Catholic part time programs are both much easier to get into. GW in your case I think would be a no go, you need a 163 to be competitive I think.

But given you are a minority, I think that helps you out alot.

If you think you totally bombed...lower 150's then I'd say cancel and retake in Feb. Your chances would be lowered in Feb. but I think most schools would prefer to see a higher LSAT score later rather than a lower LSAT score earlier.

Matthew_24_24

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 671
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thinking about cancelling score
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 09:58:11 AM »
See, it depends how good of a judge you are about your test.

When you score higher than your "best case scenario" (like one poster here) then perhaps you should keep it.  However, most people are not that f'n dull that they can't objectively analyze how they did.  It's like a couple of my friends who think they do awesome on a midterm and get 68%.  They have no clue what is right and what is wrong.

Matt