Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Employment in SF  (Read 915 times)

jbshane

Employment in SF
« on: April 18, 2004, 11:18:44 AM »
I recently heard the USC does not place many of its graduates in the Bay Area, as compared to UCLA or Davis, and that its career services office is very much centered on placement in L.A.  I want to work in the Bay Area, so I checked nalpdirectory.com, which seems to confirm my source's assertion (15 SF law firms interview at USC, as opposed to 34 and 30 for UCLA & Davis, respectively).

Does anyone else have any info on this?  Is there anywhere to check what percentage of USC grads work in Northern California as opposed to SoCal?

thechoson

Re: Employment in SF
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 01:29:29 PM »
Have you tried Martindale?  Do a search in San Francisco and see where the attorneys went to school.  (focus on attorneys who got their JDs recently, because older ones could have lateraled)

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 11:44:07 PM »
I'm also thinking of USC and wanting to work in the Bay Area.  I hope that what you say isn't the case.  I wonder if recruitment on-campus though is the full picture.  I mean on-campus recruitment is almost always biglaw.  The med/small firms are usually found through your own means so perhaps it's just that more USC people work in smaller firms (which makes sense with all the tier 1 schools in the area.)  I would find it hard to believe that a large majority of USC granduates don't work in the bay area!

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 11:50:48 PM »
Regarding USC and the Bay Area, I am not very surprised.  I mean, the Bay Area has more than enough law schools to choose from.  Obviously Boalt and Stanford.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if within the Bay Area Hastings and Davis have more clout.  USC seems to place very well here in Southern California, especially LA, which is a huge market.

SirenSCF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 11:55:55 PM »
but surely a large amount of SCU grads work in the bay area though, right?  I mean they can't all migrate down south.  It really does suck though that so many good schools are in that area.

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 11:57:16 PM »
but surely a large amount of SCU grads work in the bay area though, right?  I mean they can't all migrate down south.  It really does suck though that so many good schools are in that area.

SCU (Santa Clara) yes, mostly in the Bay Area.