Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stanford Bound!  (Read 59117 times)

maricutie

Re: Stanford Bound!
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004, 11:26:41 AM »
Wow, this is a very interesting bunch! :)

BTW -- I want to live here: http://stanfordwest.stanford.edu/. I've decided. I seems like a single at crothers would be something like $7,000 for the academic year (10 months). Roughly $700 a month in rent, which includes utilities. Sharing a 3-bd here at Stanford west, though, would be only $709 + utilities split three ways. Utilites probably wouldn't be more than $100, I figure ... and I'd get a kitchen!! And the possibility of having a dog!!!
:)

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 11:33:07 AM »
700/month including utilities isn't bad at all.  (Take it from a guy living in rent-gouging Philly)

Our house jokes around about getting a dog all the time!  Damn housing agreement!  I would definitely get a pooch though if I moved out there.
Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

maricutie

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 11:37:17 AM »
I know ... after having lived in Berkeley with its ridiculous rents for crappy housing, I just want to live in a niiice place for once. Even if it's going to cost me around $100 a month more in utilities.

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 11:42:49 AM »
maricutie...so what can you tell me about the campus and area.  i saw you started a thread asking others for the same advice, but you're a couple thousand miles closer and anything you could tell me would be appreciated.

i've been to california once and it was malibu for a week!

-quaker

maricutie

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2004, 11:48:50 AM »
Oh ... actually, I'm in Chicago. Graduated in May. Sorry I can't be of any more help ...

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2004, 02:25:40 PM »
Sad news of the day: Professor Michelle Alexander, who is the head of the civil rights clinic, is leaving Stanford in June and there is no current plan to replace her, so the clinic will not be active when we arrive. Damn.

In response to Max's question about LGBT peeps at Yale: The campus is super queer-friendly. As in far beyond "tolerant". Yale Law School is particularly queer, although Yale College, the drama school, the art school, and the architecture school are also really queer. Only the Castro in San Francisco (my current home) is gayer. Does anyone know how Stanford does on queer issues? I know it's in the Bay Area, but, living here, I also know that San Francisco is its own island and the areas around the City, while liberal, are not the same as the City itself. I've heard from some that Stanford is somewhat conservative, or at least not as queer as Yale. Any thoughts?
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

maricutie

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 03:00:12 PM »
Well, a silver lining: I don't think we would have had much luck trying to participate in clinics as 1Ls :P

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 06:01:06 PM »
I just read some stats in US News and, apparently, it's harder to get into Stanford than Harvard (8% v 11%).  Wow.

Bigtard

• View Profile

maricutie

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2004, 11:28:17 PM »
Ah heeeeeeeellllllll nooooooooooo ....

EDIT: I was initially going to try and post a response, but it seems like they are beyond hope. There's nothing that I can accomplish by posting a response -- I will inevitably sound like I'm being defensive, and thereby demonstrating that I feel the need to be defensive. I've shown my merits to the people that matter -- the Stanford admissions board. Not the morons on xoxo. Bitter fools.