Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern  (Read 5697 times)

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2005, 10:15:52 AM »

I should apologize for seeming to discriminate against "married people" :)  That was not my intent.  But in the past 3 years, every one of my friends here have gotten engaged and/or married.  They're all my age or a couple years older.  It's amazing how much I have been ostracized from their lives since.  And I don't even blame them.  Marriage is a good thing.  But there's a definite, unavoidable schism between married and single social lives.  They're all interested in buying houses and lawn care.  We have run out of common bonds to hold us together.  So that's why I hope to find people with whom I have more in common at law school.
Burghblast--no harm done. I definitely have lots of married friends who have gotten married and then disappeared off the face of the earth, or have just become really boring and sucky (lots of tv watching and poring over Home Depot ads). I just wanted to put a word in for those of us who are married and perhaps a teeny bit older and don't suck yet.
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

ricefigaro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
Those interested in Northwestern may be interested in the following links:

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2003/11/will_northweste.html

Leiter was mentioned early on this thread as Bearish on Northwestern. I thought people would like to read some of what he has to say (if you search "Northwestern", you'll get more recent postings).

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/students/sullivan/law/index.htm

A Leiter-style report on job placement at the top law firms.

lsatposter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2005, 10:38:51 PM »
I'll throw my two cents in: Right now, NU is the top choice of the law schools I've gotten into so far. I did not interview, but I do have three years of WE covering both business and law. I believe this probably helped me get in. That doesn't bother me in the least. I am a much better candidate for any law school with three years of WE than I ever could have been coming straight out of UG. WE is important not only to B-schools, but also for admission into many of the top masters programs in philosophy, public policy, and political science.

Prefering students with WE is a trend that should continue in LS admissions. Working three years only made me want to pursue law that much more vigorously and it gave me a deep appreciation for why I wanted to do it. It showed me the real-world application like nothing else.

Also, Chicago sounds like a great city when its not cold as hell 
Attending: Northwestern School of Law