Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern  (Read 5820 times)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2005, 05:16:03 PM »
Will the people with a lot of WE have the time to hang out (I guess a lot of them will be married or in serious relationships)?

I'm 27 and I'm single.  I'm looking forward to meeting new people and making new friends in law school.  I'm also worried about Northwestern being too overrun with "older" people, even though I"m one of them myself.  Since I'm single I feel like I would have an easier time connecting with slightly younger people for exactly the same reasons you just named.  Since I'll probably end up at Northwestern regardless of my social prospects there:  Please, all "younger" applicants in my social demographic - don't leave me stranded there by myself!

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2005, 05:18:59 PM »
I've been thinking about the "fitting in" issue, too, though I'm approaching it from a different perspective--five years out of undergrad, married for almost three of those. I think I have learned something in that time, and I value the experiences I have had. I think my work experience in public policy will be especially good as I head into this realm of the unknown.

With all of that said, I'd like to counter the idea that married people (or "older" people) don't like to hang out, go out, or have fun. True, I'm drunk less often than my senior year in college, but I consider that to be a big plus. :) And, I enjoy a good party or a good night out as much as I ever have. My spouse and I definitely like to hang out together (what's the point, otherwise?), but we're still pretty fun people who lead somewhat independent lives.
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2005, 05:20:27 PM »
I would take a look at the average ages of the students at NU if you are concerned about it at all.  Go to the Day at Northwestern if you can and take a look around, if people seem to fit your vibe, then I'm sure you'll be fine.  "work experience" isn't always 10 or 20 years, like the poster above I will have 2 years.  Eerily also one as a legal assistant and one in a more technical put numbers in job.  We're also both in at UVA and NU, Celarkobri are you me or am I you?

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
  • Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2005, 05:25:17 PM »
Don't worry Burghblast,
We, the younger folk at NU have your back covered. There will be many opportunities to 're-enact' your party days at PSU.

[ Please, all "younger" applicants in my social demographic - don't leave me stranded there by myself!

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2005, 05:27:34 PM »
I followed.  Yes I will be there, although I'm not sure how Bizzaro I am.  I used to live with a girl affectionately known as Bizzaro Paige to my friends because I knew like 6 Paiges...

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2005, 05:29:21 PM »
With all of that said, I'd like to counter the idea that married people (or "older" people) don't like to hang out, go out, or have fun. True, I'm drunk less often than my senior year in college, but I consider that to be a big plus. :) And, I enjoy a good party or a good night out as much as I ever have. My spouse and I definitely like to hang out together (what's the point, otherwise?), but we're still pretty fun people who lead somewhat independent lives.

I should apologize for seeming to discriminate against "married people" :)  That was not my intent.  But in the past 3 years, every one of my friends here have gotten engaged and/or married.  They're all my age or a couple years older.  It's amazing how much I have been ostracized from their lives since.  And I don't even blame them.  Marriage is a good thing.  But there's a definite, unavoidable schism between married and single social lives.  They're all interested in buying houses and lawn care.  We have run out of common bonds to hold us together.  So that's why I hope to find people with whom I have more in common at law school.

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
  • Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2005, 05:30:25 PM »
when is the Day in Northwestern? April 2?

I would take a look at the average ages of the students at NU if you are concerned about it at all.  Go to the Day at Northwestern if you can and take a look around, if people seem to fit your vibe, then I'm sure you'll be fine.  "work experience" isn't always 10 or 20 years, like the poster above I will have 2 years.  Eerily also one as a legal assistant and one in a more technical put numbers in job.  We're also both in at UVA and NU, Celarkobri are you me or am I you?

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2005, 05:31:33 PM »
By the way, who is going to Admitted Students Weekend April 1-2?  I'm flying into O'Hare on Thursday afternoon and returning on Sunday.  I've never been to Chicago before.  Anybody know where I should stay or what I should see while I'm there?

mark1982

• AOL Instant Messenger - marksgmnd
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
Yeah I'm going to whatever event they have scheduled on April 2. THey were vague about it in the email but then I haven't gotten "the packet" yet.  I'm just taking the el down because i go to NOrthwestern as an undergrad.

KristyB

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2005, 11:46:41 PM »
I'm going to bump this and ask a few questions that I already asked on another thread.  I just got accepted yesterday.  Three years work experience.  Two years as a teacher and one year as a VISTA in New Mexico.  Who has visited Northwestern, spoken with current students, and/or sit in on classes?  There is no feasible way for me to visit before I make my decision but I have been to Chicago before and loved it.  (BTW, I'm 25, single and though I want to work my butt off in law school, I want to be able to have fun every once in a while too).