Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSDAS is playing a guessing game with my GPA!!! Need feedback...  (Read 773 times)

jds

• View Profile
    • Email
LSDAS is playing a guessing game with my GPA!!! Need feedback...
« on: December 07, 2004, 10:09:22 PM »
So in looking at the GPA LSDAS calculated for me, they gave me an 'F' for a class that I received a "No Credit" (NC) grade for. It was a one day seminar class and worth 0.0 units. The grade didn't affect my GPA from the college at all.  But LSDAS went ahead and decided to "assume" and apply 3.0 units to it like a normal class, and it has severely dropped my GPA. The law schools will see this lower GPA and they'll see the 'F' there too. I contacted LSDAS about it, and gave them proof that it wasn't worth any units, and I shouldn't be penalized. After much arguing they decided to apply 1.0 units to it, which still drops my GPA.

LSDAS is playing a guessing game with my GPA which is not at all fair!!! What should I do? I'm resorting to faxing a letter to each of the law schools explaining the situation. Should I do it? What would you guys do?? They've already sent out the reports showing the 'F' and the lower GPA. I'm too tired to deal with the LSAC bureaucracy.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: LSDAS is playing a guessing game with my GPA!!! Need feedback...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 10:22:58 PM »
You should call again. If they won't drop it to 0 units, ask to talk to a supervisor. I assume it shows up on your transcripts as 0 credits? And I would go ahead and fax the law schools,, and explain you're working on the situation.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 10:27:48 PM »
I agree with Javert that you should fax your schools and explain what the problem is and that you're trying to fix it.

I would also speak with a dean at your school. Whoever does your dean's reports probably has dealt with law school applicants before, and perhaps would be willing to write/call LSAC. It doesn't seem fair for them to just give you an F if it's against school policy. It would be like if you had received a temporary grade of Incomplete (for a 2-semester thesis project or something) and they had turned it into an F even though your school doesn't do it.

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 09:37:03 PM »
I agree with Javert that you should fax your schools and explain what the problem is and that you're trying to fix it.

I would also speak with a dean at your school. Whoever does your dean's reports probably has dealt with law school applicants before, and perhaps would be willing to write/call LSAC. It doesn't seem fair for them to just give you an F if it's against school policy. It would be like if you had received a temporary grade of Incomplete (for a 2-semester thesis project or something) and they had turned it into an F even though your school doesn't do it.

Actually, Incompletes count as Fs.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

caffeine and nicotine addict

• Sr. Citizen
  • Stay back - This is MY piss-pot!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tchnav
    • View Profile
    • Third Tier Toilet
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 10:13:22 PM »
For sure ask to speak with a supervisor at LSAC. That's some bull! Dropping it from 3 hours to 1 doesn't make any sense! If you went to the doctor for a checkup and they mixed you up with someone else who was going to get a hand amputated, you wouldn't be cool if they said, "Well, ok, we'll just take off 2 fingers then." Fight the power!
In at GULC PT/ED - WooHoo!

Lulu

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 10:47:34 PM »

Actually, it depends on the school and the course. I have been enrolled for a 2-semester honors thesis course where it is the norm to receive an incomplete after the first semester and then when I get graded for my thesis, I will receive that grade on both semesters. So I have an Incomplete, but it doesn't factor into my GPA at all- not for good or bad. In fact, my Degree granting GPA and my LSAC GPA are exactly the same.

Actually, Incompletes count as Fs.

lshopeful

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 03:51:14 AM »
So in looking at the GPA LSDAS calculated for me, they gave me an 'F' for a class that I received a "No Credit" (NC) grade for. It was a one day seminar class and worth 0.0 units. The grade didn't affect my GPA from the college at all.  But LSDAS went ahead and decided to "assume" and apply 3.0 units to it like a normal class, and it has severely dropped my GPA. The law schools will see this lower GPA and they'll see the 'F' there too. I contacted LSDAS about it, and gave them proof that it wasn't worth any units, and I shouldn't be penalized. After much arguing they decided to apply 1.0 units to it, which still drops my GPA.

LSDAS is playing a guessing game with my GPA which is not at all fair!!! What should I do? I'm resorting to faxing a letter to each of the law schools explaining the situation. Should I do it? What would you guys do?? They've already sent out the reports showing the 'F' and the lower GPA. I'm too tired to deal with the LSAC bureaucracy.

Oh man that sucks. I can't even believe your school reported the one day seminar on your transcript.