Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: does 2 yrs. of WE improve admission chances?  (Read 929 times)

attu

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
does 2 yrs. of WE improve admission chances?
« on: December 07, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »
my dream is to attend law school at NYU or Columbia, but my stats are low - 166/3.6.

however, i do have 2 yrs. of unique work experience - and am interested in pursuing environmental/natural resource law.  think this will set me apart and/or balance my relatively mediocre numbers?

how much does 2 yrs. of interesting/challenging/unique work experience count in the admissions process?

attu

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: does 2 yrs. of WE improve admission chances?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 09:54:16 PM »
so i guess my real questions are: 

1.)  with my numbers, is there anything other than URM status (i'm white) that could gain me admission into Columbia or NYU?

2.)  how much does "diversity" - as in unique life/work experiences - really count (if at all)?

3.)  is it just a numbers game after all?

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 10:27:42 PM »
From what I've read, Columbia and NYU brag about having mature applicants with years of work experience and grad degrees.  So I imagine they love WE and grad degrees.

Diversity seems to help in most LS not just columbia and nyu.

But to say how much these things help would be just conjecture.

There seems to be nothing stronger than URM (outside of the #s).

When it comes to it.  Yes it is just a #s game. The extras help but probably to a small degree (except for URM).

Probably best to contact the schools themselves and ask how they value extras like WE, EC, PS, and grad degrees.

HTH

wildcataz2004

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 11:33:23 PM »
Ithink you have a good chance at Columbia- your GPA falls into the 25/75 range and your LSAT is only one point off the 25 mark.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 08:59:56 AM »
What is this unique work experience?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 09:53:40 AM »
you should've worked with julie.  she has many stars!  pretty, too.

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 10:03:01 AM »
Seems like too much of a reach for either unless you have AMAZING work experience.  Also, I think that the generally don't care what area of law you are interested in because they expect that to change.  The exception is when you applying for specific scholarships (like NYU's)

Here's my question.  If you are so interested in environmental law, why don't you want to go to law schools that are ranked highly in that specialty (in USNWR)?  As opposed to schools that are all around great?  I smell a little prestige whoring here. Just my 2 cents.

-A 

kidblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 10:06:23 AM »
Take a look at this article:

http://www.deloggio.com/homepage/faq/admproc/ayear.htm

It turns out that work experience, in general, counts for very little in the admissions game. I think any work experience must really stand out as unique or demanding for it to help you very much.

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 10:13:44 AM »
Working "1 or 2 years" may not have that much effect on your admission chances because it's not really enough time to develop an actual career, and GPA is still likely to be the best indicator of your current ability for achievement in law school.  But if you have been out of school for much longer, schools will likely place less and less emphasis on your GPA relative to your career achievements.  No law school is going to weight the college GPA of a 35 year old applicant who's been climbing the corporate ladder for the past 14 years very heavily.  So at which point does the work experience actually become beneficial and start to take over your GPA?  I'm hoping after 5 years of employment, since I graduated in 1999 :)   

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 10:45:53 AM »
Give it a shot.  I don't think you're that far off.  Play up life experiences in your personal statement.  Even if they only except 10-13% of people with your numbers (according to Chiashu) you could be in that small percentage even without being a URM if your life experience is interesting, and your PS is spectacular.  Just make sure that it is.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!