Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which test is more difficult

LSAT
MCAT
GMAT
Real Estate Lic.

Author Topic: Which test is more difficult-the LSAT or the MCAT?  (Read 5430 times)

AmbitV

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which test is more difficult-the LSAT or the MCAT?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2004, 01:07:03 PM »
general consensus is there are many many more douchebags in law school than any other professional school.  Evidence is this board.

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2004, 03:36:35 PM »
gmat is business school

and yes med school is a lot easier than law school

Really?? I thought med school would be harder. I heard after the first year of law school, it gets easier.

bhvexille

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2004, 03:59:49 PM »
It depends on the med school, like med students at johns hopkins are really stressed out, but in general the stress levels in med school are really low, and they have tons of free time..

Part of it is that once you get into med school you're set career-wise.. you WILL graduate, you WILL get an internship and residency, and then you WILL get a job for 100k-600k (depending on specialty) which, barring extreme incompetence, you will never be fired from

In law school, it's easy to fail out, and depending on your school, you will probably have to get very good grades to ensure good career prospects

It's true though, law school does get easier after the first year

One of the posters here is married to a med student at vanderbilt, she can probably say more about this

WoeIsMe

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2004, 05:23:38 PM »
I took the MCAT and believe it is by far more difficult than the LSAT.  The LSAT only tests 1 concept.. argument structure (premise, premise conclusion), and it only assumes you can read and write, certainly within the ability of most high school students.

The MCAT is much more than a knowledge based test.  The 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of biology and 4 semesters of chemistry (general, organic) are the minimum required to even comprehend the passages.  The MCAT tests one's ability to synthesize (ie: think analytically) in subject matters generally beyond these requirements.  I recall a problem regarding the effects of radioactive decay on muscle physiology and not having a clue, despite having completed 4 semesters of physics (my major was electrical engineering).

One fortunate aspect of the LSAT is that although it contains 5 choices, 3 are easily thrown out making it a test where you pick between two contenders.  That's a bit more difficult to do when your answer choices are: 3 mg/L, 10 mgL, 4 mg/L, 1 mg/L, 8 mg/L.

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2004, 05:40:42 PM »
That's true, law school is no guarantee. Almost anyone can get into any law school, and law firms are so stuck on rankings and grades so I can see that there would be more pressure. Med school is so much harder to get into, then afterwards you're pretty much set. But I still think that med school is by no means easy. I have a cousin and some friends in med school who think it is "hell" and get no more than 4 hours of sleep a day.

bhvexille

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 05:46:20 PM »
But they're trying to get good grades so they can get residency positions at mass general and other top hospitals..

They don't HAVE to study so hard

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 06:02:06 PM »
They have board exams in med school to pass in order to become board-certified. Also, I hope the fact that they could accidently kill a patient will urge them to study hard...they have a lot more at stake.

New York

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2004, 06:03:14 PM »
LSAT is like a very hard IQ test. It tests intelligence more than knowledge.

MCAT tests knowledge.

I took Real Estate tests and they are a joke...anyone can get a RE license.

Series 7 was fairly hard..but that like the MCAT is all knowledge. Hardest test I took was probably the Series 4 which is about options..but the LSAT is much harder.

rwhitman

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004, 06:11:43 PM »
They have board exams in med school to pass in order to become board-certified. Also, I hope the fact that they could accidently kill a patient will urge them to study hard...they have a lot more at stake.

Have you forgotten about death-row? Many lawyers have vast amounts of responsibility for a clients welfare as well.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2004, 08:45:43 AM »

Have you forgotten about death-row? Many lawyers have vast amounts of responsibility for a clients welfare as well.

The lawyer for which side?