Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Employed at Graduation vs Employed at 9 Months  (Read 2250 times)

thechoson

Employed at Graduation vs Employed at 9 Months
« on: April 18, 2004, 03:33:12 AM »
In USNEWs, it gives the percentage of students employed at graduation vs employed after 9 months. It is safe to assume at graduation the ones employed mostly found employment as lawyers, so that's the number that is important?

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: Employed at Graduation vs Employed at 9 Months
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 11:30:01 AM »
I know that public interest jobs are on a different hiring cycle than law firms, so anyone going into public interest will be reflected under "9 months"   Other than that, I'm really not sure, but my impression is that most people going into firms will be hired upon graduation, especially if they did an internship with a firm their second summer.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

dta

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 03:05:28 PM »
i'm scared of relying on the "after 9 months" stats. I'd be concerned that a lot of people in the following category might apply:

*&^%, it's been 8 months and I can't find work as a lawyer. Guess I'll go work at Taco Bell.

They just say "employed" after 9 months, not necessarily as lawyers. I'm worried the 9 months thing is a smokescreen to coverup the fact that people can't find work as lawyers. I only trust the "upon graduation" stats.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 03:18:13 PM »
A note about government work:

From what I have heard, the reason CU has more people employed at 9 months verses at graduation is because if you go into government work, you must pass the bar first before you can be hired in Colorado.  If you graduate in May, you take the bar in the summer, and then you are employable after you pass the bar.  This increases the number that is employed in 9 months and decreases the number of employed at graduation, although the majority are working as lawyers and not at Taco Bell.  I don't know if this is true for ever school or not but just something to keep in mind...

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 04:25:50 PM »
Keep in mind that many law firms will not make you an offer until you have passed the Bar.  That's the biggest reason for the difference in employment rates.

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 05:48:22 PM »
I know that public interest jobs are on a different hiring cycle than law firms, so anyone going into public interest will be reflected under "9 months"   

zpops, what is their hiring cycle?  how is it different?
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 06:57:41 PM »
Keep in mind that many law firms will not make you an offer until you have passed the Bar.  That's the biggest reason for the difference in employment rates.

Where'd you hear that? I heard opposite--that it was kind of like the The Firm where they expected you to handle basic case legwork and do barprep. Don't a lot of people have offers on tap by their third year?

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 07:08:55 PM »
melissa2781 - see my post about public interest if you mean government work.  Because you have to pass the bar before they will offer employment, the time out of school till employed is more.  Private firms, from my understanding, are more likely to hire you and then you pass the bar...