Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions about Actual Practice of Law in Canada  (Read 1451 times)

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
Questions about Actual Practice of Law in Canada
« on: December 07, 2004, 05:54:42 PM »
What is the highest paying type of law in Canada? What others are close to the top?

What are the big law firms in Canada? Where are they located? What law schools do they primarily recruit from?

Guess that's it for now, I only decided on law school in late September so I really don't know squat about law in Canada. Thanks to anyone with the info I want.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Actual Practice of Law in Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 02:43:33 AM »
What is the highest paying type of law in Canada? What others are close to the top?

Corporate, like everywhere else.  You can make a good dollar in a lot of different places.  A suggestion would be to think about what you're INTERESTED in.  Law in general isn't exactly badly paid.

What are the big law firms in Canada? Where are they located? What law schools do they primarily recruit from?

The big 7 are the Seven Sisters, all of them in Toronto.  Search these boards, I've listed them before.  There's also quite a legal market in Calgary.  Seven Sisters recruit from UofT and Osgoode mainly, and your marks better be amazing.

No longer here.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 03:18:00 AM »
Caec, did you retake?  I f-ing owned the dec test, hope you did too.  Of course then i only have a 3.7, not a 4.0

Matt

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:30:42 PM »

Corporate, like everywhere else.  You can make a good dollar in a lot of different places.  A suggestion would be to think about what you're INTERESTED in.  Law in general isn't exactly badly paid.

The big 7 are the Seven Sisters, all of them in Toronto.  Search these boards, I've listed them before.  There's also quite a legal market in Calgary.  Seven Sisters recruit from UofT and Osgoode mainly, and your marks better be amazing.

Are you sure about them recruiting for Oz? I've had a few people tell me that big firms view Oz as too left wing. Is that not accurate?

As for marks, we're talking law school here not undrgrad right?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 05:20:44 PM »
Caec, did you retake?  I f-ing owned the dec test, hope you did too.  Of course then i only have a 3.7, not a 4.0

Matt

No, I'm a coward Matt.  I'm hoping my GPA saves me.

Congrats on the good preformance.
No longer here.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 05:24:27 PM »
Are you sure about them recruiting for Oz? I've had a few people tell me that big firms view Oz as too left wing. Is that not accurate?

As for marks, we're talking law school here not undrgrad right?

Oz is the second highest recruiter at Bay St. after UofT.  Oz is a big school, so the whole economico-political spectrum is represented.  So, no, I would say that is not accurate. 

Yes, I'm talking about law school marks.
No longer here.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 02:54:13 PM »
Caecilius, what about Dal, Queen's and Western? (which are the ones it was suggested to me the big firms really like).

What kind of law would the big Bay St. firms be focussed on? For example, Oz has several 'streams' you can enter. Would any be more advantageous for a position at one of those firms?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 03:36:53 PM »
Caecilius, what about Dal, Queen's and Western? (which are the ones it was suggested to me the big firms really like).

What kind of law would the big Bay St. firms be focussed on? For example, Oz has several 'streams' you can enter. Would any be more advantageous for a position at one of those firms?

I really wouldn't worry about those streams.  From what I've heard, they're not that important.

Western for all its business focus isn't even close to Bay Street hiring when compared to Oz (closer to Queen's) and Dal is not so great either.  If you're set on working corporate, you can't beat UofT and then Oz.
No longer here.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 04:05:22 PM »
Well, I guess my information is out of date (as I'm getting it from two former hockey coaches who are lawyers and in their early 40s). Good news about Oz, as it's best for me geographically and socially. All about the December LSAT now.

One last question though, what would be the chances of interning with one of these firms? Would it be possible before 1L? After 1L? After 2L?

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 04:22:18 PM »
Well, I guess my information is out of date (as I'm getting it from two former hockey coaches who are lawyers and in their early 40s). Good news about Oz, as it's best for me geographically and socially. All about the December LSAT now.

One last question though, what would be the chances of interning with one of these firms? Would it be possible before 1L? After 1L? After 2L?

Cheeks has secured an pre-1L interview with 7 sisters, so you should try to PM and ask him.  He's a freak though, I wouldn't expect it as a matter of course. 

Marks are the key, although 1L is kind of dubious whichever way you slice it.
No longer here.