mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Valpo
« on: December 07, 2004, 05:47:39 PM »
Acceptance letter today.  I have been "wait-listed" (whatever the hell that means) for a full scholarship.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

bradzwest

Re: Valpo
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 05:56:55 PM »
Congratulations...I figured it was coming for you soon.  I got the sense you weren't really interested in going.  Will the scholarship matter...acceptances are nice though huh?  You have great numbers, you'll have lots of options.

wildcataz2004

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 06:58:34 PM »
Congrats

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 09:50:50 PM »
Scholarship affects decision factors a lot...right now, Valpo officially ranks the highest among acceptances :)

Seriously though, if Valpo gives me this full ride, and I don't get in to any schools ranked 60 or higher, and no one else gives me a full ride or more, then yeah, Valpo's where I'm going.

I can also get an MA or an MCHC in psych there as part of a dual degree program, and that also adds niftiness points in my book.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.

GoingtoLS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 12:28:30 AM »
Congrats. That was one of the last applications I sent, so it will probably be a while before I hear from them.

bradzwest

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 11:44:31 AM »
That's great then!  Kind of in the same boat...top 50 or so is nice, but if I'm paying the full tab it will be hard not to keep Valpo near the top of my list.  Looking for public interest work, so debt will be a major consideration.  Good luck.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 11:52:28 AM »
Thanks.  You too.

LSATGuru

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »
Congrats :D

Heh, I also got the 'wait-list for a full ride plus a $3,000 cash stipend' letter. 

For your benefit I'll go home tonight and send them a "decline admission" letter so that it'll open up one more spot for your scholarship to come through. 

Don't take my comments about Valpo to heart--I have a vested hatred for Chicago (personal reasons) and that's mostly what fueled my fire for coming in there with a biased attitude.  Overall, the staff was very nice, the ONE class I sat in on seemed reasonable (though even now I can't say the comments I made about it were false in my review) and the cost of living there is probably tantamount to that of South Carolina. 

If going to law school is simply a means to an ends (a career with the FBI, etc...) then I think Valpo is a fine choice.  I'm very concerned with going to a school with great facilities, etc... because I went to a crappy UGrad school and want to makeup the crappiness there for going to a law school I feel is commensurate to all my desires.

Again, good job on the full-ride.  Of the 100,000 people who apply this year, about 50,000 will be rejected by every school they apply to--so a full scholarship is a fantastic accomplishment.  When the others who decide to go to different law schools (like me) send in their declination letters, your full ride will come to fruition. 

:)

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 03:26:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Robot.  And thanks for declining your scholarship--who knows, maybe I'll get yours?

I'm still not sure I'll go to Valpo...I've been doing a lot of thinking, and if I get into UGA or U of Tennessee I'll probably end up there.  But if not, a full scholarship to Valpo is not bad to fall back on.

LSATGuru

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 03:48:47 PM »
Heh, I didn't get the scholarship, I got put on the same "wait list" as you.  But I'm sure one less person on the wait list can't hurt you.