Law School Discussion

GULC preferred Waitlist

GULC preferred Waitlist
« on: December 07, 2004, 12:39:22 PM »
Well, I am on the preferred waitlist..

Whatever the hell that means...

is this better than deferred or what..

got the letter today.. numbers are below I have 2 yrs. work experience for large engineering consulting firms..
I am not a URM

I thought I was a definite ding-dong.. Im totally shocked.. 

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Re: GULC preferred Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 12:44:07 PM »
That's good right?
ok that's it I'm leaving work early today

Well, I am on the preferred waitlist..

Whatever the hell that means...

is this better than deferred or what..

got the letter today.. numbers are below I have 2 yrs. work experience for large engineering consulting firms..
I am not a URM

I thought I was a definite ding-dong.. Im totally shocked.. 

Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 12:50:36 PM »
I think that's good, too!  Not sure exactly what it means, but it sounds better than "deferred"...and it's definitely better than a ding! :)  It seems like there would be no point in even having a "preferred waitlist" if it's not a step up from a deferral. 

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 12:59:03 PM »
yeah.. im looking into it right now.. it seems really good.. next best thing to acceptance.. and because a lot of people dont have gulc pt as their top choice.. seems that slots could open up..

I am totally siked about this turn of events.. with all the rejects i had given up.. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT THE PT PRIORTIY WAITLIST AT GTOWN...

Thanks in advance,
D

Bearizzzle

• Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 01:03:51 PM »
congrats!

one thing i have heard is that gulc really uses it's waitlist - especially the priority one i would assume. i remember reading something like they took 50 people off the waitlist, either last year or year before that - this is FT stats though. But yeah, i would think you would be in good shape for PT too :)

Soop much better than a ding :)

I'm still waiting..... :-\

Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 01:07:19 PM »
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT THE PT PRIORTIY WAITLIST AT GTOWN...

drowles, I was curious as to what this meant too (in hopes that maybe I'll get a similar letter?!?) :) - so I did a Google search on

"preferred waitlist" Georgetown

and there was a lot of anecdotal info (old posts of people from last year, etc.)  You might find it interesting, if not helpful. :)

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 01:09:56 PM »
I wouldn't say its as good as a deferral but its infinitely better than a rejection.

A deferral is basically the adcomm saying:
This applicant isn't good enough to let in on Early Action/Early Decision.  But the applicant isn't bad enough that we want to deny him.  In fact, the applicant might be good enough when we see the rest of the class.  
So basically a deferral is a second chance of having your file looked at before any decision is made.

Waitlisting, is a decision. The applicant isnt quite weak enough to deny, but the adcom is quite confident they won't be strong enough to accept, if the regular admits accept their places. However, you can still get in off the waitlist when spots open up (which for Gtown, probably happens more than at other T14s because of its class size, and rank relative to other T14s.)

Thats the difference for me. And like I said before, this is still much better than any rejection! So good work! :)

eileen2004

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 01:16:34 PM »
Yeah - a search of this board will turn up quite a bit of information for you from last year.  

Is this better than being deferred, though?  If you're deferred, you have a chance to be reviewed again for regular decision and could be either accepted or waitlisted at that point.  Being waitlisted at this point cuts down the number of times your application is going to be reviewed, doesn't it?  

Drowles - please don't interpret this as being critical of your good news - I'd be very happy with anything other than an outright rejection.  Congratulations!  

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 01:19:18 PM »
hmmmm..

yeah I thought deferal was worse than waitlist, but, on second thought, I see your point..

oh well, i'd almost have rather had a decision.. what am I supposed to do now.. grovel at the adcom people.. yuck.. i dont want to beg to be admitted.. but, man g-town might be a sweet option..

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 01:29:09 PM »
see what the letter said. if it asked you to submit more info like a letter of recommendation or writing sample do it. at the very least, reply reaffirming your interest in the school!