Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How long did you study for the LSAT? (regularly]

I did not study (I took the LSAT cold)
I studied for 1 to 3 weeks [cram session]
I studied for 1-3 months [adequate preperation]
I studied for 6-12 months [getting obsessed with the test in a good way]
I studied for over 12 months [I have devoted all my time to the LSAT ever since I knew of it's existence with respect to law school admissions]

Author Topic: To study or not to study, that is the question...  (Read 611 times)

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
To study or not to study, that is the question...
« on: December 07, 2004, 12:56:02 PM »
 :) Just curious, because on and off I have studied (loosely that is) for over two years but seriously will be for over 6 months. I just want to know where we all fal in terms of preperation for such an important chapterof our law school admissions decision  :)

Ivy_Hopeful
(Darrell Duncan)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

kbp

Re: To study or not to study, that is the question...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 01:01:16 PM »
I took a course that lasted about 2 months, maybe 2.5.  I had a couple weeks from the end of the course until test day, and I can honestly say I went in feeling ready.

asdar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 01:04:16 PM »
I never even considered law school until a friend of mine said he thought I should in oct just after the LSAT.

I studied from Oct-Dec 4. I think it was adequate. I could have done a bit more to up my games speed but it felt pretty good to me.

This board is pretty intimidating to me. I'm looking for a 165 and felt like I had it but reading on here makes me think I'm not quite as good as I think I am. If I had read this board before the test I'd probably have skipped it and pushed back my plans by a year.

kbp

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 01:10:40 PM »
I knew about this board pre-LSAT, but I'm glad I didn't come visit until after the test.  I think it has the potential to really get inside the heads of some people.  It's the same reason I didn't talk to anyone right before the test.  You just have to do what works for you in prepping, and don't let what other people are doing intimidate you.

EPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 01:55:51 PM »
I never even considered law school until a friend of mine said he thought I should in oct just after the LSAT.

I studied from Oct-Dec 4. I think it was adequate. I could have done a bit more to up my games speed but it felt pretty good to me.

I'm in the same boat. In october I decided law school might be fun (nights and weekends), so I bought 12 of the most recent tests and crammed. I feel like I'm about as good as I can get at the LR & RC (I miss 4-6 on each section), but I think I could get a lot better at the games (I guess on at least 1/4 of the 22-23 game questions due to time constraint).

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 01:59:11 PM »
I took the October LSATs cold and got a 161. For December I didn't study, but rather practiced. I consider the two to be incredibly different. Those who studied fomr the Powerscore books or took a class did something vastly different from those of us who simply wrote several practice tests.

Once & Again

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 03:30:27 PM »
I took the October LSATs cold and got a 161. For December I didn't study, but rather practiced. I consider the two to be incredibly different. Those who studied fomr the Powerscore books or took a class did something vastly different from those of us who simply wrote several practice tests.

Could you elaborate?

i took the powerscore course and did worse on the test this past weekend  :'(

i need a different approach.

thanks
Never get called out on strikes. Go down swinging!

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 03:36:21 PM »

Could you elaborate?

i took the powerscore course and did worse on the test this past weekend  :'(

i need a different approach.

thanks

I found that the study material just confused me. I had my own way to do the LR and LG sections and it just wasn't the way they suggested to do it. Trying to learn their method would have ment throwing my method (essentially instinct for LR) out the window and starting from scratch. I was certain that trying that would hurt me, so I just practiced with old tests and drew my own conclusions from the kind of questions I got wrong a great deal. For those of us who learn better independently that's certainly the way to go. If you did worse on the second time after studying, I would suggest you throw out the Powerscore method and try relying on your instinct for LR.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 11:14:28 AM »
This poll is demonstrating what I thought it would. It looks like studying from 1 to 3 months is the norm so far but keep 'em coming!

IVY_Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141