Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help Me Pick a Job!  (Read 1370 times)

ttiwed

Help Me Pick a Job!
« on: April 17, 2004, 11:30:21 PM »
i'm working for a year before going to law school in '05 and was recently presented with two job offers.

one is with a small employment law firm located in a skyscraper in the downtown of the city i live in. the position title is an "intake clerk," which consists of talking to potential clients over the phone and filtering out the lunatics who have no case from the real clients. the salary is $25,000 a year.

the other job is a position in a national non-profit org working for environmental causes. they were so impressed with my interview that they said they would like to promote me to a director in 3 or 4 months. the pay is less than $20,000 a year and the office is located in a shabby building in a poorer side of town.

i know that in terms of applying for law school, it really doesn't matter where you work (as long as its not a burger flipping job). my delimma is that being a director of a non-profit seems more prestigious than a clerk job at a firm. then again, the firm job would look better on my resume for when i apply to a legal-related job during the summer after 1L. i'm leaning towards the firm but not 100% sure yet. what do you guys think?

thechoson

Re: Help Me Pick a Job!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 11:32:11 PM »
Heck, work where you want man.  Where do you think you will be happy for a year, instead of worrying about what looks good

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 11:58:59 PM »
Heck, work where you want man.  Where do you think you will be happy for a year, instead of worrying about what looks good

Amen!  I think as long as you don't spend your year sitting around doing nothing, it won't matter what you do.  Just do what will make you happy.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

ttiwed

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 12:09:17 AM »
ok! the firm it is then  ;D

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 05:20:12 AM »
Just a question, what was your major in UG. Don't get me wrong, but couldnt you get a job with a better salary? I know that people with an UG get salaries with much higher salaries ???

visit http://2lawschool.blog-city.com

ttiwed

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 12:34:38 PM »
my undergrad major was political science. actually, i live in the midwest and 25k isn't all that bad since i only pay $404 a month for rent and i live adjacent to downtown. besides, considering the fact that a lot of my friends are waiting tables for 4 bucks an hour plus tip, i'm counting my blessings  ;D.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »
Just a consideration, if you want to go to any school with a strong public interest program such as boalt, that PI job, will score you some points on your application.

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 12:04:03 PM »
i still say go w/the rest and go where you think you'd fit in best and be very happy at. i would rather have a stellar performance review which would lead to an outstanding recommendation from a former employee when i'm trying to get into that 'i-so-belong-there!' law firm after i graduated.

trust me when i tell you, having an employer praise you for eternity and wish you were coming back to them is better than just working at the place itself from my experience. ;)