Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Info on Stanford?  (Read 5171 times)

LN135

Re: Info on Stanford?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 12:06:38 AM »
Just wanted to second littlelucy on this one.  (Oh, also -- congrats on SLS!!)  I'm from NYC, so when I first came out to Palo Alto for undergrad, it was a huge culture shock.  But after a little while, I too discovered that there were lots of interesting things to do.  The restaurants out here are great, there are indeed fun dive bars and coffee shops, and the Palo Alto/Menlo Park area has all the basics (grocery stores, bookstores, laundromats, etc.).  It's not a big city, but there are a lot of upsides.  It's also really pretty.  I'm planning on living in NYC after law school, but I have also enjoyed my time in Palo Alto.  In my opinion, it has a lot to offer.

Also, I did not find a boy shortage either.  The opposite, actually...and I even met one that I liked enough to stick with for the long term.  (We're still together.)  :)  

Obviously, your own experience of the place is what matters.  I had a great time, though!  Let us know what you think when you check it out for yourself...

LN135

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 12:19:05 AM »
I guess what I mean to say is that Stanford was ok, but I wouldn't go back for 3 more years. Make sure you visit first, and don't expect it to be anything at all like Berkeley. They're pretty much different planets.

The Stanford name has helped me, so I'm not going to whine, but I would have been happier at UT Austin (which is very similar to Berkeley). Because I've already spent my time at Stanford, I think I ranked it #6 on my list. I was also pretty sure I'd get into at least one of Harvard, Yale, Columbia, or NYU, and I knew I would much rather go to one of those.

Didn't see this before I posted.  While I don't think I would have been happier at a different college (I was really satisfied with my time at Stanford), I'm also not willing to spend three more years on the same campus.  Stanford was fantastic, but I'm ready for something different.  :)  I've noticed that a lot of Stanford people say this, while at Harvard people are much more excited to stick around.  Mari, I think that might tell you something about the insularity of the campus. 

maximumtennis82

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 01:00:17 AM »
Didn't see this before I posted.  While I don't think I would have been happier at a different college (I was really satisfied with my time at Stanford), I'm also not willing to spend three more years on the same campus.  Stanford was fantastic, but I'm ready for something different.  :)  I've noticed that a lot of Stanford people say this, while at Harvard people are much more excited to stick around.  Mari, I think that might tell you something about the insularity of the campus. 

Just a note:  University of Michigan is a massive school and, hence, not really insular...but most of the people I talk to here are eager to get outta Ann Arbor ASAP.  This is especially true among the law school students I know...I mostly only know the gay law students, so that might have something to do with it (the 'scene' isn't that large here), but I think as a rule most people don't want to stick around their undergrad campus for two more years.

(I could slam the Harvard kids...but I won't bring the hate   ;))

maricutie

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 10:29:07 AM »
Whoa ... this post has been EXTREMELY helpful. I love Berkeley, love its weirdness, but given the things I consider important in a law school (in the CA bay area, reputation, prestige), I think Stanford is topping it so far. Ah, well. I'll have to work on getting my rival identities to get along with each other.

And yes, it's a wonderful choice to be having to make. No complaints there, ever!

Thanks, everyone!
:)

ats

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 10:49:10 AM »
I used to live 10 minutes from Palo Alto - not a fan.

For someone who is used to city life and likes being around a city, PA is insanely insular/preppy/boring. Yes, there are bars/sushi/restaurants, but the haughty attitude of the inhabitants is ridiculous and PA is REALLY small and REALLY expensive.

Plus, Pizza My Heart is constantly filled with goons after the bars close. ;)

Berkeley is a lot cooler, way more fun and just a better place to be, at least for me and my own QOL concerns.

Driving to the city is also an option, but the whole parking/designated driver thing is just a major pain.

My friends at Stanford love it academically, and for good reason, but if you don't have a car and you want to live in Palo Alto...that would suck.

But of course, this is just my opinion - lots of people love it there (I just can't figure out why...).

I haven't heard much about the law school, but I'm going to visit on admit day for sure.

helendemilo: I'm cracking up about your stories of not getting any. Before I moved away, I went to a Stanford frat party and I got the opposite impression - lots of drunk girls and guys everywhere looking to hook up. Seemed like a good time. ;)

maximumtennis82

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 11:26:06 AM »
More random fatherly-researched info:

I don't own a car and was curious about how much living in PA would suck without personal transport (mostly for weekend trips to the City or coast)...my dad, digging around the stanford website, found out that Stanford has struck a special deal with Enterprise that allows students 18-25 to rent cars w/o the standard under-25 fee applying.  Granted, this might not be appealing to some...but for me it's perfect.  To be able to just pick up a car for the weekend and not have to worry about monthly insurance/parking/security (all of which make owning a car out there seem prohibitively expensive) sound ideal to my ears.

maricutie

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 11:35:24 AM »
What has anyone heard regarding rent prices? It seems that stanford allows subsidized near-campus housing at around the same rate as a crothers single (crothers single = approx $700 a month, incl utilities; stanford west, sharing a 3bd aprt = $709 plus utilities). At this point, standford west looks like the winner ... i want my own kitchen!!

http://stanfordwest.stanford.edu/faq.html

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 11:57:16 AM »
helendemilo: I'm cracking up about your stories of not getting any. Before I moved away, I went to a Stanford frat party and I got the opposite impression - lots of drunk girls and guys everywhere looking to hook up. Seemed like a good time. ;)

And there you have it.  Lots of drunk guys and girls everywhere LOOKING to hook up before eventually going home disappointed.  I mean, I can tell stories here about drunk girls bringing guys home, going for the zipper on the pants, and the guy's like "uhhh... I gotta go."  I mean seriously.  What planet does that happen on?

Also, there's the "Stanford Bubble."  Which means no one ever goes off campus or knows anyone off campus.  Freshman year was literally people sitting at their desks in their rooms, downloading music, chatting with their neighbors and doing shots of cheap alcohol in plastic bottles.  Every Friday and Saturday night.

My sister goes to NYU and it is unbelievable how different our undergrad experiences are.  Her friends actually go *out* to different places.  They drink in social settings, rather than in front of their computers. 

Also, about housing, there's an apartment complex called "Sharon Green" that is right next to campus.  Stanford used to rent out a bunch of the apartments for student housing.  I don't know if they still do that, but that's a pretty nice option.  We used to go over there to go hot-tubbing.  ;)

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 12:06:51 PM »
What has anyone heard regarding rent prices? It seems that stanford allows subsidized near-campus housing at around the same rate as a crothers single (crothers single = approx $700 a month, incl utilities; stanford west, sharing a 3bd aprt = $709 plus utilities). At this point, standford west looks like the winner ... i want my own kitchen!!

http://stanfordwest.stanford.edu/faq.html

Those are the new apartments they built over by the Stanford Shopping Center.  It might be cool to live over there.  You'd be really far from the law school building which is approximately somewhere around the "E" or the "R" in "UNIVERSITY" on the map.  They don't have a scale on the map, but I'm betting it's a good 2 or 3 mile bike ride each way.  (Speaking of, you know you'll be riding a bike all the time, right?)  The other grad housing is a lot closer.  I forget what they call them... the Studios or something?  The law school is on the South-South-West side of campus, and there is a lot of grad housing right there.

Or if you miss the hippies, you can live in co-op housing like Chi Theta Chi, which has 3 spaces for grad students.  We had a law student living there when I lived there.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 12:15:40 PM »
Hmm...seems like there are lots of good-enough housing options.  Will definitely be investigating the complex with hot tubs  ;)  And, most likely, that co-op as well.