Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Info on Stanford?  (Read 5287 times)

maricutie

Info on Stanford?
« on: December 07, 2004, 11:41:14 AM »
For having gone to undergrad at the better school across the Bay, I actually know little to nothing about Stanford, and even less about Stanford law. I was wondering where would be a good place to get the "low down" about SLS. I've already looked at the Princeton Review rankings, which were interesting, and the kind of dated "best law schools" books. I'm looking for the student-to-student kind of info: what the housing situation is like, how competitive it is, are the teachers any good, etc. Any info would be appreciated!  ;D

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
Re: Info on Stanford?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 11:57:01 AM »

Try reading "Brush with the Law", by an actual Stanford student. 

I also know someone there, and it appears like studying isn't that important.  "A heavy sense of entitlement permeates the air", or something like that. 

Seems pretty laid back, and why not?  Top rank, small class.  Everyone's going to do very well. 

The only other schools to consider above Stanford are Harvard and Yale, and I'm not even sure about those two once QOL is factored in.
T25 or bust

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 12:08:50 PM »
Do you still live in the area?  If so, just go there.  The law school is one building, and it has a courtyard area where students hang out.  You could talk to them.  You'd also see what the location is like and what the feel on campus is.  It's VERY different than Berkeley. 

I went to Stanford and graduated without ever visiting Berkeley.  I was up in the area on a business trip, and decided on my way back to Oakland airport to just pull off the freeway at University Ave.  Berkeley is really cool.  There are people everywhere and a lot of stuff going on right around campus.  Stanford has a totally different vibe.  So just go look. 

maricutie

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
Hmm... what do you mean by "diff vibe?" I imagined it would be surrounded by preppies and the like, but I hope it's still a lively town. I'm actually in Chicago (graduated already), but hope to take advantage of their offer to go visit, since they'll pay for it. Unfortunately, they'll only pay for you to visit on Admit Day, which is in April. Hrmph.

What's the political vibe on campus? Lefty, I'm assuming, but probably not as lefty as Berkeley? Is there the "organic-veggie-friendly-running on soybeal oil" mentality that characterizes Berkeley? Even a little bit?

Sorry for all the questions ... I was a berkeley undergrad and never went to vist stanford either :)

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 04:16:13 PM »
No the vibe is COMPLETELY different. 

First of all, Stanford's nickname is "the Farm."  The campus is huge and spread out.  You are surrounded by pastures and multi-million dollar homes owned by 80 year olds.  That is all.  There is no lively town.  I mean the school is really small - only 6,000 undergrads and 8,000 grad students as I recall.  So nothing in the area caters to students.

I didn't get any political vibe at all.  I wouldn't say it is lefty.  There are always the groups protesting things, but they are made up of the same 30 people all the time. 

Everyone rides their bike around campus and goes to frat parties.  There is nothing to do around Stanford.  There is one decent movie theater in San Mateo but you always have to buy your tickets way in advance on the internet because the movies are always sold out by the time you get there. 

The fun things to do are to go to Santa Cruz or the City.  But it's really hard to get to the city because BART only goes to Daly City.  So you can drive to Daly City, then park and take BART.  Or you can take the train, but that only runs until 11 pm, and it lets you off at the south end of the city so you have to take a bus for an hour to get where you're going.  Or you can drive and pay $$$ for parking and always have a designated driver. 

At least for undergrad, the social life is terribly backwards.  Girls can't find anyone to hook up with them, which you wouldn't think would be a problem anywhere.  My girlfriends and I had a support group devoted to our total lack of ever getting any.  And there was nothing wrong with us...  Frat parties are like boys over here, girls over there... middle school dance style.

I loved the classes and professors and everything school-related.  But outside of school, I would give Stanford a thumbs down. 

The law school may be different, but it's still Stanford, so...

chicago108

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 05:51:58 PM »
I went to Stanford for undergrad - definitely the better school in the Bay Area - hands down! :) All of my sisters and cousins went to Cal and said the same thing, so I feel as though I have the right to say that.

About Stanford Law - I've heard that it's very cliquey and kind of high schoolish.  They accept a lot of younger grads, which probably adds to the dynamic.

With that said, the Stanford campus is gorgeous and so is the law school.  And you'll get a job anywhere after going to Stanford, so definitely keep it in consideration.

Boalt's a great school, too - did you apply?

Good luck.

maricutie

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 11:23:29 PM »
Hmmm ... I'm torn between my stanford law acceptance and the love I have for my berkley undergrad!! That having been said, however, I think I might be willing to try something new this time around. I basically want to stay in the Bay Area and, while I love Berkeley, this is SLS we're taking about here. Never in a million years .... I was happy when I got into Boalt, but couldn't really breathe when I found out about Stanford.

How's the housing situation, for those in the know? Berkeley's was not only expensive but crappy -- I hear palo alto's might just be expensive, which, hey, is something I can deal with for three years. Is commuting an option? 

TheDecline

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 11:28:39 PM »
Stanford or Berkeley.  Berkeley or Stanford.

That is a pretty nice problem to have.

Congrats.

littlelucy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 11:36:35 PM »
whoah, i'd have to disagree with helendemilo here.

i thought there was plenty to do in town-- fun sushi places, lots of coffeeshops, a dive bar open 7 nights, cheesy clubs for dancing, etc, and i definitely did NOT find the shortage of boys to hook up w/ HDM mentioned  :-[  i spent most of my time with the b-schoolers and sometimes the humanities PhD kids, and the former group tended to have their own parties on- and off-campus anyway.

the campus is gorgeous and so is the law school portion of it, and a lot of the lawschoolers live in one dorm that's right near everything. as for getting into the city, there's actually a bus that runs straight there in addition to the trains...though i did have a car, i just preferred not to drive it to sf, so probably my experience is a little shaded (i.e. didnt have to bum a ride to the busstop).

the high school part doesn't surprise me-- it's par for the course when the class is that small. i think yale, stanford, cornell, etc all have that 7th-grade-ish flavor where everyone knows everyone else's business, but you have to weigh it against everything you gain from having a tiny class at a top school.
dirty yalie

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 12:01:45 AM »
I guess what I mean to say is that Stanford was ok, but I wouldn't go back for 3 more years.  Make sure you visit first, and don't expect it to be anything at all like Berkeley.  They're pretty much different planets.

The Stanford name has helped me, so I'm not going to whine, but I would have been happier at UT Austin (which is very similar to Berkeley).  Because I've already spent my time at Stanford, I think I ranked it #6 on my list.  I was also pretty sure I'd get into at least one of Harvard, Yale, Columbia, or NYU, and I knew I would much rather go to one of those.