Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to go  (Read 2351 times)

thechoson

Re: Where to go
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 01:25:55 AM »
Thanks little old lady,
You mentioned ranking law journals. Very specific question.  I've heard USD's law journal is ranked quite high, much higher than the school itself is ranked.  Do you know anything about this?
Thanks!

lakersalltheway

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 01:32:25 AM »
Concerning placement, I am assuming you are referring to being placed into a very well known law firm.  I am not really worried about working for a big firm.  A medium or small size firm will be sufficient.  Even working for a corporation would be exciting.  So in terms of being placed in a firm other that a high end one, what are your opinions regarding how important the locality of where one studies law is.

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 01:36:54 AM »
Concerning placement, I am assuming you are referring to being placed into a very well known law firm.  I am not really worried about working for a big firm.  A medium or small size firm will be sufficient.  Even working for a corporation would be exciting.  So in terms of being placed in a firm other that a high end one, what are your opinions regarding how important the locality of where one studies law is.
My opinion is that for a smaller firm, locality comes into play EVEN MORE.  Bigger firms can have laterals, and their sheer number of attorneys indicates a possibility that their students came from law schools in other parts of the country (albeit most seem to have gone to excellent schools).  Just look at Martindale.  It seems that the bigger law firms have more lawyers from other states' schools.  Most smaller firms seem very local, just look a couple up online. Like I was looking at some smallish San Diego firms with 10-15 attorneys, and most of them went to USD or Cal Western, and schools like Western State, Pepperdine, or Loyola were the furthest they got.

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 01:40:33 AM »
I don't know anything specific about USD's law review.  BTW, that really matter to a USD student.  Only a handful will get on law review and out of that only a few will be published.  The ranking of the law review only matters to people wanting to get published.  And the people who want to get published are not people in a position to hire recent graduates.  Articles are published mostly by professors and people wanting to be professors (clerks).  Some recent grads and law students also try to get published.  But lawyers don't have time to write a 90 page article.  Especially not partners. 

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 01:42:34 AM »
About placement in small or mid-sized firms, these kinds of firms are going to be even more suspicious of out of town graduates.  Large law firms hire from all over the country.  Small/mid-sized firms often only hire from local schools.