Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Expunged Misdemeanor Retail Theft  (Read 1786 times)

manna119

• View Profile
    • Email
Expunged Misdemeanor Retail Theft
« on: April 17, 2004, 09:55:31 PM »
Could it come up as an issue when applying to law school?

thechoson

Re: Expunged Misdemeanor Retail Theft
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 10:39:12 PM »
Might want to consult a lawyer  ;D

efgeg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 08:02:28 PM »
Felonies are bad, misdemeanors won't hurt.

DJ_JB

• LSAT: 145 avg (149 Highest) GPA: 3.07
    • MSN Messenger - j.herron@comcast.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - johnherron2003
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jwh014
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »
At this point, I don't know if a criminal record hurts or not... I just know that I have been waitlisted at schools that I thought I was a shoo-in...  Maybe it is just the southern, conservative part of the country, but I think it does affect your chances..  Yours doesn't sound like the record I have, so it may be fine.

I have a DUI, MIP, Disturbing the Peace, and Littering.. They happened approx. 4 years ago.  I was truthful and told them this was about the time that I found out my father was dying.  I had never been in trouble with the law before that period and haven't since...

Hope this helps

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 11:18:07 PM »
This is another question that came up at the admissions session I was at the other night (that I mentioned in another thread).  The answer from the University of Texas Dean was that some law school applications specifically include expunged crimes, and that if they ask you must disclose them.  Other applications do not specifically ask, and so you are probably not legally obliged to disclose them.  However, she said that it is much better to be safe than sorry and to consult an attorney.  When you apply to become a member of the bar, they will do a background check, including your LSAT fingerprints, law school application, etc.  Any irregularity (such as not reporting a misdemeanor on your law school application) would be grounds for barring you from the.. err.. bar.

DJ_JB

• LSAT: 145 avg (149 Highest) GPA: 3.07
    • MSN Messenger - j.herron@comcast.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - johnherron2003
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jwh014
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 01:31:15 PM »
I was above the medians at one of the schools and another one was right at the median.. Another was pretty split..  I have just compared my results to others, with lower numbers, on LSNs.