Law School Discussion

Slowly improving..but games still getting me (154-161)

M2

Slowly improving..but games still getting me (154-161)
« on: April 17, 2004, 06:27:58 PM »
I have taken 5 practice tests over the past few weeks... and here are the scores.. in order

154-155-159-158-161

Does this count as improvement or are the scores too close?

I usually get a perfect score on the reading compression questions (maybe 1 or 2 wrong), and do fairly well on the logical reasoning section (usually a raw score of 19-22 out of 24-26...)

But I am still doing horribly on the games...the raw score of the games section on my most recent test was 9!!!

I have been studying the logic games bible...but it looks like I need to study it more. It just seems that I have trouble adapting what I am "learning" to the actual questions on the LSATs.

Oh well..I'll keep on plugging a long... still have time for 16 or so more practice tests before the June exam.

Mark

Edit: Also it should be noted that this is with leaving a tons of stuff blank in the game section...so all my scores in reality would be a tiny bit higher since during the real thing i wont leave anything blank...

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: Slowly improving..but games still getting me (154-161)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 06:53:05 PM »
A friend of mine tutored someone in a similiar position to you.  He advised his student to start out only focusing on two games per section, and getting them perfect.  Once he got to that point, he told the student to work at 3 games and get them perfect.  When the test came around, he answered three games, filled in random bubbles for the fourth, and still ended up with a 167.  Of course, this plan will only work for you if time if your problem.  Good luck with your practicing!

Re: Slowly improving..but games still getting me (154-161)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 07:17:49 PM »
Hey M2,

A 7 point improvement over your first test is definitely a solid improvement.  Different things work for dfferent people on the Games sctions, but as someone who had a horrible time with the the Games section, I'll tell you what helped me somewhat.  Focusing on 2 games at first is exacyly what I did.  I took about 20 practice LSAT's, and even on the real thing I didn't even bother with what I judged to be the hardest of the games.  If you can get to the point where you can carefully finish 3 sections in the allotted time, you'll be looking at a good score. 

I've heard it said that the first game is never the hardest, and the last one is never the easiest.  IMO that's true, with the hardest game usually being the 2nd or 4th.  Naturally, if you can only finish 3 games they should be the three easiest.  What I did was always complete the 1st one, and then very quickly skim the remaining 3, rank them in difficulty, and do them from easiest to hardest.

This also helped me: yu can get a bunch of logic puzzle books form a bookstore and try to do the puzzles without any scrap paper at all.  This will (hopefully) improve your abililty to visualize a scenario under different conditions without the aid of paper.

Hope that helps.  This section would be so easy if you had unlimited scrap paper, but perhaps that's the idea.  At any rate, it seems that your practice is paying off.  Best of luck to you on the real thing.