Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: one more question to ask  (Read 1007 times)

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
one more question to ask
« on: December 07, 2004, 03:52:04 AM »
I really, really appreciated everyone taking their valuable time to give me some inputs.

So, I think I am gonna fax my cancellation request tomorrow. and study again for the june test.

When should I start studying again though? I am still in college and my finals are next week. and there comes the christmas, and the new years.. I guess I start fresh from the new years?

I am having a little bit of motivation problems too. I know it was my mistake to be all freaked out at the real thing, and making such crucial mistake on the easy sequencing game. and the mistake should not be repeated, at least for the june test.

but i am still in the "depressed modd" after the bombed test. I really need to get remotivated..

I've already used all my 44 prep tests. I guess I will start from test # 1 from Jan. Maybe two tests a week with the comprehensive review. For the dec. test, I did do all 43 tests, but did the comprehensive review thing from test # 29 or 30 I think. I might as well set my goals a little higher if I decide to devote six more months of my life to this test.

I also admit I have a little problem with science passages. I get extremeley slow when I start to read them. I was thinking, maybe take a extra bio class next term for my elective requirement so I have a better understanding about the whole "cell diversion and molecules" typa things..

And maybe reading those science journals/magazines everyday - so I would be more familiar with the subject.

Could you give me some insights about the plans listed above?

Also, any other suggestions about how to study for this all over again, w/o any new materials?

Thank you...

bhvexille

Re: one more question to ask
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 03:57:55 AM »
Take a long prep course with a lot of in-class time, and make sure the class ends just days before you take the test.

Do all of the homework when it's actually assigned, don't put it off or it might not be as helpful.

Try to take extra timed, proctored practice tests.. an easy way to do this is if your prep course offers makeup-days for the test (princetonreview did for us).. just go to both each week or whatever (usually saturday and sunday) 

Something that is definately key, though, is doing the homework when it's assigned, because you'll be practicing stuff that was just taught, so it becomes internalized and natural.. if you wait too long to do the homework, it's not as useful

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: one more question to ask
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 04:18:40 AM »
I really, really appreciated everyone taking their valuable time to give me some inputs.

So, I think I am gonna fax my cancellation request tomorrow. and study again for the june test.

When should I start studying again though? I am still in college and my finals are next week. and there comes the christmas, and the new years.. I guess I start fresh from the new years?

I am having a little bit of motivation problems too. I know it was my mistake to be all freaked out at the real thing, and making such crucial mistake on the easy sequencing game. and the mistake should not be repeated, at least for the june test.

but i am still in the "depressed modd" after the bombed test. I really need to get remotivated..

I've already used all my 44 prep tests. I guess I will start from test # 1 from Jan. Maybe two tests a week with the comprehensive review. For the dec. test, I did do all 43 tests, but did the comprehensive review thing from test # 29 or 30 I think. I might as well set my goals a little higher if I decide to devote six more months of my life to this test.

I also admit I have a little problem with science passages. I get extremeley slow when I start to read them. I was thinking, maybe take a extra bio class next term for my elective requirement so I have a better understanding about the whole "cell diversion and molecules" typa things..

And maybe reading those science journals/magazines everyday - so I would be more familiar with the subject.

Could you give me some insights about the plans listed above?

Also, any other suggestions about how to study for this all over again, w/o any new materials?

Thank you...

Don't get discouraged! You're being too hard on yourself, and you sound like such a bright and intelligent person. Heck, I wasn't half as motivated as you are when I was a college student. Take a break until January, enjoy the holidays! You worked hard...you earned it!

Well, for the RC, especially the science ones, I found it easier not to get hung up on the scientific nature of the passage. The best way to attack passages like these is to:

-get the overall main idea
-underline definitions or any important words
-find the author's tone (for, against, neutral)
-undestand the overall organization of the passage (i.e. "intro, examples, critics, author's viewpoint, conclusion")

Once you master this, you can answer 75% of the questions without even referring back to the passage. It's extremely effective. This might be a departure for you, but take your time and try it for a couple passages. The testmakers throw in the science passage usually halfway to slow down the average test-taker, don't get caught in the trap. I used to spend forever on these passages, but once I trained myself not to get so wrapped up in the "science" of it, I could usually finish the passage and questions in 8 minutes, and this is coming from someone who almost flunked out of science in high school. ;) It's a great strategy.
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)