Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need some advice!!  (Read 1131 times)

a2525

• View Profile
I need some advice!!
« on: December 06, 2004, 10:54:51 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this message board and I really need some help from anyone with expertise on law admissions.

I've submitted my apps to almost all the law schools in Canada, but I fear that I have a slim chance due to my poor LSAT. Overall, I think my apps are pretty solid - I'm majoring in Women's studies and my statement was pretty personal, talking about an incident of violence against women in my immediate family when I was younger and how it led me to become an activist for women's rights.
My extra-curriculars are good, I was the President of the Women's Studies Student Union, I volunteered as a peer counsellor, I am a residence don (student mentor) this year.  My references are excellent, from two profs who know me really well. I didn't do so well in first yr, my CGPA is only 3.15 but in the last two yrs I'm at a 3.6. I have solid work experience for 4 years with municipal government. HOWEVER, I just could not nail that damn lsat for the life of me, and I really did try. I wrote it three times - June: 153, October:155, and last weekend, well I don't feel confident that it will be much better. Timing is a huge issue for me. Is there anything else I can do at this point? Should I write some sort of addendum about my LSAT scores? Should I send an additional reference letter from my employer, will the admissions office accept it after my application has been submitted? Do I have any chance here at all? I'm an absolute wreck worrying about this, anyone who can offer any advice or empathize with me, please respond!!
Thanks

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I need some advice!!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »
If your last two years are indeed 3.6, and if you manage to stay there, if you managed a 157 on the LSAT you would have a shot at U of Alberta.

They only take your last 60 credits.  (Note, if you had exactly 5 classes per term they would take exactly 60, if you ever took 4 they would dig into your 1st semester 2nd year)

Now here is the key...are you going to be at 3.5_?  or 3.6_?  With borderline numbers, that could make all the difference. 

You would be in the bottom 20 of admits if you had a 155 lsat and a 3.60-3.65 gpa, but you would get in.

Matt

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 01:57:21 PM »
Some schools would place a great deal of importance on your extra-curriculars, Ottawa for example would be one and it also only takes your highest LSAT. So, if you applied to Ottawa I imagine you will get in there.

Oz won't ignore any of your school work with that LSAT, so admission there looks really unlikely. U of T is hopeless as well. As Matt said, Alberta is possible. UVic is hopeless as they place a great deal of import on LSATs.

Basically, yes send in an addendum. I'm in the opposite boat, my transcript is just ugly, but I have a high LSAT (like 168+ in December). I have an incredible involvement with the community and will be sending in a large addendum to my applications in January. You should do so as well.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:45:05 AM »
Not a bad chance at UWO or Queen's.
No longer here.

a2525

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 07:29:40 AM »
Thanks so much, you guys are awesome.  I have hope!! Unfortunately, U of A was one school I didn't apply to, and now I've missed the deadline :(
Praetor - I would LOVE to go to Ottawa, it is my number one - what are you going to say in your addendum? I am totally going to send one as well, I just can't fathom how to say in a tactful way "I know I suck at the LSAT, but I'm strong otherwise and I'm passionate about human rights and thus I'd make a good lawyer...pleeeease take me!!"  I would really like to indicate to ottawa that they are my number one choice...so any tips on how to go about this addendum?
caecilius, i'd love to go to either queen's or UWO as well, although I heard that UWO is quite conservative...they don't even offer any feminist legal theory?!