Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DIFFERENT STATES  (Read 2148 times)

jgruber

Re: DIFFERENT STATES
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 08:34:55 PM »
San Francisco might be a little big for your tastes but from what I hear it seems to be the atmosphere you are looking for

They say that San Francisco is the most European city in America.

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 08:39:47 PM »
I lived in Huntsville and have worked there for 6 years off and on.  Huntsville has a lot going for it, but there are many drawbacks, too.

Generally, there is not much racism, but look out for the few racists.  They make up for all the non-racists.  Years ago I was discussing the movie Mississippi Burnings with her.  The movie was about lynching, etc.  This young lady who was about 10 years younger than me and a college graduate, so that the blacks who were lynched were asking for it, because they should have just stayed in their places.  Enough said?

PS the KKK was first formed in southern middle Tennessee, not far from Huntsville.

2. Alabama- This state gets such a bad reputation from a lot of people.  It is a poor state, and can have some downright rotten people.  I think Bedford Forrest (the father of the KKK) was born in Alabama, don't quote me on this.  But the KKK holds meetings and stuff and is quite active within pockets of the state.  Yet I lived in Huntsville, and it was the BEST place I've ever lived in, HANDS DOWN.  I've lived in San Diego, mind you.  The people were awfully nice, and it was large enough to offer some culture and allow me not to feel like a country bumpkin, while small enough where people still say hi, people would help get your car out of the snow (it doesn't snow often), and there is just that general sense of community amongst all the people.

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 10:15:53 PM »

SF is not in America.  It is somehwere on Mars.  Unless you are a vegan who thinks Bush is worse than Hitler, stay away from the Bay Area.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 11:03:09 PM »

SF is not in America.  It is somehwere on Mars.  Unless you are a vegan who thinks Bush is worse than Hitler, stay away from the Bay Area.

I think you're confusing San Francisco for Berkeley.  If you're going to judge cities, at least get the stereotypes right.  :-P j/k

In all seriousness, SF is quite liberal in every aspect.  The current mayor (Gavin Newsome) is considered one of the most conservative mayors SF has ever had.  And if you remember, he was the one who allowed gay marriages just a few weeks back. 

However, don't let politics get in the way of looking for a great city to live in.  While SF maybe more liberal than any city in the country (with the exception of Berkeley), it is very open minded towards everyone--not just liberals. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

thechoson

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 11:05:38 PM »
I lived in Huntsville and have worked there for 6 years off and on.  Huntsville has a lot going for it, but there are many drawbacks, too.

Generally, there is not much racism, but look out for the few racists.  They make up for all the non-racists.  Years ago I was discussing the movie Mississippi Burnings with her.  The movie was about lynching, etc.  This young lady who was about 10 years younger than me and a college graduate, so that the blacks who were lynched were asking for it, because they should have just stayed in their places.  Enough said?

PS the KKK was first formed in southern middle Tennessee, not far from Huntsville.

Hmm.. I seem to be quite clueless still on race relations in this country.  Like I said, I have not really (as far as I know ) been the target of racism, even during my time in Alabama.  I mentioned I endured more racist comments and taunts from Mexicans than Caucasians.  Now, this is what I am wondering.  EVERY black person I have met during my time in high school and college, have said they have been victimized by racism, that they have to go through it, etc., if the topic of race ever has come up.  These are blacks of differing economic backgrounds. Some grew up poor, but some grew up wealthier than I have.  YET all of them have complained in classroom settings when race has come up that they have at some time or another been victimized by racism.  Now, if you ask me (an Asian ) the same question, I'd say no.  Yes, I've heard the idiotic ching-chong, slant eyed idiotic taunts (again, mostly from Mexicans rather than whites), but I would hardly call that being "victimized".
Now sometimes to me, it seems like groups like the KKK and a lot of white supremacists groups target blacks more than any other minority, though they hate us all equally it seems.  I wonder why that is?  Racial violence sparked by whites seem to victimize blacks more often, but racial violence aimed at any other minority seems to be sparked by other minorities.  (the Black vs. Korean violence during the LA riots, not to mention the lingering racism between Koreans and Blacks i still feel simmering in LA).

I have met white people that will begrudingly accept us Asians, but hate blacks (I have actually heard people say this!).  I know Asians that have VERY racist attitudes towards blacks, but aren't racist at all towards whites, mexicans, or any other race.  Are blacks truly more victimized, regardless of their economic standing, racially more than any other minority?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 11:16:04 AM »
HI I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION THAT WILL HELP ME DECIDE WHICH LAW SCHOOLS TO APPLY TO.
 I AM NEW TO THE USA, I AM ORIGINALLY FROM ENGLAND AND HAVE LIVED IN SOUTH AMERICA. I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND HAVE SINCE I MOVED HERE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. I would like people to recommend some states I would like to live in based off of what i tell you.
 1. I would like to live in a state that is not  too racist. I am multi-racial and so would prefer not to be around racist people, so no kkk states.

im not trying to be an a-hole...but...i guess im the only one a bit peeved by this statement.  i dont think going to law school should be determined by whether a venue is more racist or not.  how do you really determine that?  yes, ive lived in the south and yes, there are racist people frolicking around there...but i live in ny now and ive seen just as many, if not more, than the south. 

the other thing that i dont seem to understand is the fact that you would want to try to avoid locales where racial problems exist.  im guessing youre concerned about safety and i understand to an extent.  but, there will always be minorities in predominantly racist communities, and there will always be racism to some degree anywhere you go.  at the risk of getting flamed, ill put this statement out:  racism will ALWAYS exist as long as ignorance exists.  and i dont see ignorance going away anytime soon unless Dawn of the Dead is a reality.  for me as a future law student/lawyer, i would want to experience all those issues first hand.  even if i dont go into human rights or civil law, i would still want the the education that only life could teach me.  that, to me, is invaluable. 

im sure florida has its share (i used to live in GA and i know KKK rallys took place in FL)...and maybe youve been exposed to so much of it that you want to escape it.  understandable, yet still a bit disconcerting. 

and to the other criteria for law school venues...shouldnt your number one criteria be the value of education?  it seems that your criteria for looking into/applying to law schools are driven mostly by demographics and social aspects...personally, if thats what youre looking for, i suggest you go on a vacation.

please dont take this as a flame...i just wanted post what my first thoughts were after reading your initial post.  and if ive misunderstood anything, my humble apologies...
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 11:29:13 AM »

im sure florida has its share (i used to live in GA and i know KKK rallys took place in FL)...and maybe youve been exposed to so much of it that you want to escape it.  understandable, yet still a bit disconcerting. 

I was working in Ft. Lauderdale for 16 months one year.   :)
One Saturday the KKK held a rally about 10 miles from my apartment.

I grew up in south Jersey.  The KKK was known to exist in the Pine Barrens about 30 miles from where I lived.

I live in Tennessee now.  The birthplace of the KKK is about 60 miles from my house.

I served in the Army in Alaska, among other places.  The Army investigators uncovered KKK activity among soldiers stationed there.

Hate knows no boundaries.

nathanielmark

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »
If you are looking for a more progressive european mindset stick with the "blue" states, California, New Jersey, New York, Mass, Conn, Vermont would be the bluest.

Avoid the "red" states like texas, oklahoma, colorado, Alabama, Missisippi, etc.

HI I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION THAT WILL HELP ME DECIDE WHICH LAW SCHOOLS TO APPLY TO.
 I AM NEW TO THE USA, I AM ORIGINALLY FROM ENGLAND AND HAVE LIVED IN SOUTH AMERICA. I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND HAVE SINCE I MOVED HERE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO. I would like people to recommend some states I would like to live in based off of what i tell you.
 1. I would like to live in a state that is not  too racist. I am multi-racial and so would prefer not to be around racist people, so no kkk states.
 2. I love culture, and theatre and cinema but prefer a smaller city where I can get to know more people.
 3. I am not a big party person so I would prefer somewhere where people have small parties but hang out more than pose!!
 4. I am interested in making good money after I graduate, so a state which will need lawyers or where they have alot of law firms.
 5. A state that has fairly young single people that I can meet!!

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Lawschool2005

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 04:22:46 PM »
"i dont think going to law school should be determined by whether a venue is more racist or not."

Its just a basis on which I am trying to find a Law School I will be happy and comfortable at. What my criterion are shouldn't matter to you!!
   Thank-You for the other responses, they have really helped. I know that anyplace where ignorance prevails there will be Racism, but there are obviously some states that have less racism than others.

jgruber

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 04:25:56 PM »
"i dont think going to law school should be determined by whether a venue is more racist or not."

Its just a basis on which I am trying to find a Law School I will be happy and comfortable at. What my criterion are shouldn't matter to you!!
   Thank-You for the other responses, they have really helped. I know that anyplace where ignorance prevails there will be Racism, but there are obviously some states that have less racism than others.

Some show it more than others, but I don't know if there are really significant differences otherwise.  Think of places that to most are obviously not racists, like Boston.  Remember what happened when they forced school busing?  And Philadelphia, city of brotherly love, where they burned down the house of a racially mixed couple?