Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I retake?  (Read 1737 times)

dabears

• View Profile
Should I retake?
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:16:01 PM »
I scored a 151 on the LSAT and am dispointed.  I was averaging around a 157 on my practice exams.  I am wondering if it is worth retaking?  I have a GPA of 3.52 and a degree in economics from a private liberal arts school.  I studied for about 2 months.  The first month I did not do a lot of studying, but the last month I did a lot of practice exams.  I did about 20 practice exams in all and read the Kaplan book and LSAT Superprep. 

If anyone has any advice about retaking or preparing for the LSAT please let me know.  How long have you prepared for the LSAT and what kind of results did you have?

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: Should I retake?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:54:49 PM »
I scored a 151 on the LSAT and am dispointed.  I was averaging around a 157 on my practice exams.  I am wondering if it is worth retaking?  I have a GPA of 3.52 and a degree in economics from a private liberal arts school.  I studied for about 2 months.  The first month I did not do a lot of studying, but the last month I did a lot of practice exams.  I did about 20 practice exams in all and read the Kaplan book and LSAT Superprep. 

If anyone has any advice about retaking or preparing for the LSAT please let me know.  How long have you prepared for the LSAT and what kind of results did you have?

Where do you want to apply? Unless you're truly confident that a 151/3.5 won't get you into any of your schools, don't cancel. Those stats would easily get you into some  regional schools. If you have a great PS, LOR's, experience, URM, etc these could compensate for your LSAT. I was scoring in the 150's on my practice test, but since I totally blew LG on Saturday's test, is the scale is as harsh as October's, I am not going to even break 150 (I'm praying for an easier scale, that's my only saving grace for a 150!). But I'm hoping my PS (overcoming adversity), great LOR's, and leadership positions in college to compensate for my LSAT. Although I've improved an average of 10 or so points since my first practice test, in retrospect, I don't think it was enough. If you do plan on cancelling and retaking, and since you were doing something right as shown in your upper 150's scores, just keep doing practice tests and review your answers, that's really the best way to prepare. If you start now, you would have plenty of time until February's test. Good luck!
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

dabears

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:34:27 PM »
I would really like to go to the University of Wisconsin, but with that LSAT, my chances are probably pretty slim.  My GPA is above average though, but I don't think that will matter much.

Other schools I am looking at include Marquette, John Marshall, Loyola (Chicago), Kent, Depaul, William Mitchell and Hamline.  I want to stay in the Midwest, so I am looking at schools in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Chicago.

wildcataz2004

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 01:05:44 AM »
I wouldn't retake it. There are schools that you can get into with your score in the area that you want to stay in. I think the most practical thing to do is to apply to a bunch of the schools ASAP- try to get into one by the middle of January. If it is not looking good by then, then you can re-teke the LSAT in February and then tell any of the remaining schools that you are re-taking the LSAT and to hold off reviewing your application

Good Luck

Bearizzzle

• Sr. Citizen
  • Heading to Columbia in August!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 07:19:12 PM »
if you do retake, and want some advice on prep.....take powersocre! i really loved it and thought it was worht it. that's if you want to shell out another $1000 - and i don't blame you if you don't!!!

good luck :)
Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious!

dabears

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 09:00:47 AM »
Is powerscore $1000 for the full length courese? 

GoHuskies05

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 09:14:01 AM »
Is powerscore $1000 for the full length courese? 

I took Powerscore, and yes, it is about $1100 for a full length course.  Maybe it was $1200.  Either way it was useful.  I would NOT take Princeton Review or Kaplan.  Those are awful courses, as they do not provide as much material and do not assign as much homework.  Having loads of homework assigned forced me into almost a methodical mode when doing problems.

Anyway, I strongly suggest retaking.  I think being honest is key, and you are not going to get into U of Wisconsin with a 151, and I think you know this.  Not trying to be mean, but more helpful/realistic.  You will also get a lot more money from the other schools you named with a 160 for instance. 

You can pay $1100 now and save tens of thousands later on. 

I went from a 161 to a 167 through Powerscore, and I think a lot of the jump is attributed to them.

Best of luck.