Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 1247 times)

Slippery Slobe

« on: December 06, 2004, 04:23:45 PM »

buster

Re: 100 people x $10 = fast server for LSD
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 04:27:50 PM »
I've said before that I'll gladly chip in, but Andrew never bites.

NYKnicks

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 04:41:46 PM »
It's a good idea, I'd be willing to front some cash as well.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 07:01:21 PM »
Slashdotted effect on lsat test days and lsat score days...Maybe you should try some other methods, such as mirrors, rather than just increasing bandwidth. 

::)
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 10:06:01 PM »
I don't want to promise it, but a new server will probably be my holiday present to you all.  And when I say "holiday" I mean Christmas, because Hanukkah is already here.  Happy Hanukkah.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
I don't want to promise it, but a new server will probably be my holiday present to you all.  And when I say "holiday" I mean Christmas, because Hanukkah is already here.  Happy Hanukkah.

Excellent! I'm assuming it is a 64-bit opteron (quad processor) with 16 GB of RAM, 3 15,000 RPM 73 GB SCSI hard drives (RAID 5) for the MySQL tables, and a T-3 line plugged right into the motherboard. Am I right?

http://www.crucialparadigm.com/dedicated-servers/quad-opteron-dedicated-server.php

I think the server in that link is only $1399.95/month

What have you been smoking?   :o
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 02:55:11 AM »
does slippery slobe mean "slippery slope"?  or maybe he/she/it has a code?

julie no code.  julie pretty.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:15:19 AM »

Thanks in advance Andrew!
And If that doesn't work out, I'll gladly chip in few bucks.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

lawboundFALL05

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 06:31:35 AM »
I am a web programmer and I've been involved in net-based forum administration primarily.  Sorry to break the news, but getting a fast server will not help much at all.  It may make a small difference, but nothing too noticeable.

The issue is the forum code itself.  It is not built to sustain a huge amount of activity at once.  In order to increase the speed here at LSD, and sustain it as a viable resource in years to come, LSD must upgrade its technology.

I'd recommend getting a new forum program, and I'll provide you with some recommendations if the admin PMs me.  You'll need a database that is built to allow hundreds of members and guests the freedom to browse all at once, without compromising speed.

In addition, some of the newer programs out there will also provide the administrator with the capability to have more banning options, manage banners in a more effective way, set different stratae of user groups for the various sub-forums, and provide the members here with more control-panel options.

A move like this would cost a little under $200, but it would be well worth it.  You could also have options set up in such a way as to minimize your problems with "trolls", manage problematic members with new suspension options, and send out newsletters.

Like I said, I have a ton of experience in this area so just let me know how I can help.  LSD is a great place, and I'd be willing to chip in for the sake of the community.