Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wash u-st.louis or U of Illinois?  (Read 853 times)

octlsat

• View Profile
    • Email
Wash u-st.louis or U of Illinois?
« on: April 17, 2004, 01:24:06 PM »
Which is a better school U of Illinois or Wash u-st.louis?

1)for practicing in Chicago?
2)for transfering to a different school?

thechoson

Re: Wash u-st.louis or U of Illinois?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 01:29:43 PM »
Wash U and Illinois are both awesome schools, congratulations! 

As for the transferring issue, I figure from schools of that caliber you'd be trying to transfer to a top 10 school.  Since Wash U and Illinois are ranked so high, it won't matter which school you go to.  Your performance will allow you to transfer to a top 10 school from either school.  My personal feeling is if you wanted to transfer to a top 10 school in Chicago area (which is where you seem to want to be) like U of Chicago or Northwestern, then Illinois may have a SLIGHT edge, because those schools are probably slightly more familiar with Illinois.

AS far as practicing in Chicago, I'd go with Illinois as well, because it is closer.  Common wisdom is go to the higher ranked school, but the difference from 20 to 27 is not that much, and since you want to practice in Chicago, I think Illinois should be the pick.

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 01:36:24 PM »
I think you should just pick one and soon since I am held at UIUC and WL at WUSTL.   :)

toplaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 02:46:37 PM »
If I were you, I'd go to UIUC because the tuition is cheaper, and it's closer to Chicago.  Sure, Wash U is ranked higher, but the difference between 20 and 27 isn't much and Wash U is in the middle of nowhere. 

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 03:47:00 PM »
Wash U isn't in the middle of nowhere; it's in a fairly major metropolitan area, which is not the case for UIUC.  Neither school is especially close to Chicago physically (~150 miles for UIUC and ~300 miles for St. Louis.  However, I imagine that UIUC grads are highly likely to be from Illinois/stay in Illinois, which means they'll have a huge presence in Chicago.

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 11:41:16 PM »
Illinois is slightly better for practicing in Chicago.  They're probably equal for transferring.  But you shouldn't think about transferring at this point because the odds are against it.  Especially at schools like IL and WashU.  The numbers of next year's classes at both schools will be very high.  There will be people there who would have gotten into the top 14 in other years.  So there will be plenty of competition. 

As I always say think of yourself as the average student and if you want to practice in Chicago and are an IL resident then hands down IL is the better choice.  Prospects will be about the same but you'll owe a lot less.