Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal "Acceptance" Call from George Mason's Dean of Admissions  (Read 8123 times)

LSATGuru

Did anyone else get this?  Anne Richard called me telling me that I'm accepted and there's a packet of materials along with an acceptance letter in transit to my house right now. 

She told me that I'm a "very strong candidate" and seemed to know a fair amount about me.  This seemed semi-obscure, yet refreshing to me.  I was especially impressed after I went on their site and found out that she's a Yale JD and has a venerable legal career behind her. 

Anyway, just wondering.

foxnewssucks

Re: Personal "Acceptance" Call from George Mason's Dean of Admissions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 02:33:05 PM »
congrats and i sure do hope that you pick GMU over Baylor and Regent.  ;)

eileen2004

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 02:37:02 PM »

Congratulations!  Where does GMU fall on your list of preferences?   

There is another thread where a few people mention getting personal calls.  I think this was done for admitted students last year as well. 

LSATGuru

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 02:44:50 PM »
Before I found out that Baylor was a free application (and got the full ride) I didn't even know where it was.  In fact, I didn't find out it was Baptist until right around when I was accepted.  

Most of my interest stems from it being free and a tier 1 school.  While I definitely like being around fellow believers who share my values, I'm never going to limit myself intellectually, geographically, socially, etc... because I feel obliged to do everything in my life with a "Christian" theme added on.  I do, however, plan on utilizing the gifts God gave me to serve others like the Bible intstructs.  I don't know what your beliefs are, but I hope you can respect mine as I do yours. :)

congrats and i sure do hope that you pick GMU over Baylor and Regent.  ;)

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 03:07:56 PM »
Anne Richard is a friend of a friend, so I have had the opportunity to speak with her a few times (although in informal circumstances - I am not an applicant at GMU) - and you're right, she is a class act.

GMU is a fairly conservative school overall, although their brand of conservatism is more about economic policy than social policy. I know several graduates of GMU, from all over the political spectrum - from right-wing wacko (I say that with affection ;) ) to a tree-hugger whose politics are somewhere to the left of Greenpeace. Most of them fall somewhere in between those extremes. Makes for a good mix of ideas.

Whatever your beliefs are, it's good to have them challenged by worthy opponents - that's what keeps you sharp.

Edit: Oh, and... congrats! :)

jaxon

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 03:57:13 PM »
Did anyone else get this?  Anne Richard called me telling me that I'm accepted and there's a packet of materials along with an acceptance letter in transit to my house right now. 

She told me that I'm a "very strong candidate" and seemed to know a fair amount about me.  This seemed semi-obscure, yet refreshing to me.  I was especially impressed after I went on their site and found out that she's a Yale JD and has a venerable legal career behind her. 

Anyway, just wondering.

im curious, what did she say that gave you the impression she knew a lot about you...  she said i was an "exceptional applicant" and that the packet would be on its way. but nothing in a personal sense..  i am in a cube farm here at work so i just thanked her for the personal phone call but didnt have much else to say.. then she said she hoped she could convince me to attend GMU, to which i had no response, then we said our goodbyes.  did you ask her questions? 

LSATGuru

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 05:08:02 PM »
She asked me if I'd come to one of their forums if they were in Chicago or St. Louis etc... stuff about my locale.  Also about my undergrad major since it covered international criteria and they used to be the "International School of Law." 

Our conversation was under 5 minutes, but it was long enough to be personal rather than impersonal.

eileen2004

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 05:19:20 PM »

Awww.... I want a phone call! 

I actually got a call from a NoVA number an hour or so after the threads discussing calls from GMU were posted.  I got all excited, but was a wrong number.  It's going to be a long winter...

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 05:44:21 PM »
Senor...I like your strong faith and your willingness to express it.  Usually people only talk about it when its on the other side of the spectrum.  malaprop is right, going somewhere where people might disagree with you will only help refine your own beliefs.

eileen2004

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 10:25:16 AM »

I just got an acceptance call from George Mason as well.  Yay!