Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola Law School (LA)  (Read 4860 times)

mememe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Loyola Law School (LA)
« on: December 06, 2004, 01:33:45 PM »
Anyone visit this campus?  Is it really as bad an area as it looks?  I can't imagine being in the area after dark, but perhaps I am just jaded after living in super safe suburban areas my whole life.  Where do students live that go to school here? 
USF 2005

debstar

Re: Loyola Law School (LA)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 12:25:35 AM »
Loyola is not exactly located in a safe neighborhood, but I'm sure they have some security thing going on. At Southwestern, which is also located in a not-so-nice part of town, they walk students to their cars after dark.

Students typically live in Downtown L.A.(can get expensive but it's nice) or Koreatown (cheaper rent than most parts of L.A.) or even West L.A./Palms area (rent is more expensive than Ktown, is about a 20 min drive, but is a fun area to live in).

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 02:24:16 AM »
I go to Southwestern and my buddy is at Loyola.  We're both 2nd year evening students. Both schools have safe on-campus parking garages.  At Southwestern, the lower level of the parking garage is fairly closed off from the street, is monitored by numerous remote cameras, and a live security guard is in the immediate area at all times.  I've haven't heard of any serious incidents since I've been there.  Off campus might be a different story.

I've personally never seen anyone being walked to their car at night.  But I'm sure the security guards wouldn't turn down the request, especially if you look like debstar.   :o
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 02:43:03 AM »
Loyola's neighborhood is as bad as you'd expect. The good news is that they do have a shuttle program that runs students back and forth to public transportation at all times. The parking garage is pretty much attached to the campus and it is patrolled, but I still felt unsafe. I suppose you could use the buddy system like in middle school in order to feel safe. The area is the #1 reason Loyola's nowhere near the top of my wishlist despite it's rank and good reputation.

I go to Southwestern and my buddy is at Loyola.  We're both 2nd year evening students. Both schools have safe on-campus parking garages.  At Southwestern, the lower level of the parking garage is fairly closed off from the street, is monitored by numerous remote cameras, and a live security guard is in the immediate area at all times.  I've haven't heard of any serious incidents since I've been there.  Off campus might be a different story.

I've personally never seen anyone being walked to their car at night.  But I'm sure the security guards wouldn't turn down the request, especially if you look like debstar.   :o

debstar

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 02:59:29 AM »
I go to Southwestern and my buddy is at Loyola. We're both 2nd year evening students. Both schools have safe on-campus parking garages. At Southwestern, the lower level of the parking garage is fairly closed off from the street, is monitored by numerous remote cameras, and a live security guard is in the immediate area at all times. I've haven't heard of any serious incidents since I've been there. Off campus might be a different story.

I've personally never seen anyone being walked to their car at night. But I'm sure the security guards wouldn't turn down the request, especially if you look like debstar. :o

Why thank you, that's nice to know.  ;)

To the OP - it's not that bad. Maybe it's cuz I grew up in the area, but I seriously think you just have to exercise common sense caution, rather than be overly paranoid about it.

grkdud

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 03:13:57 PM »
I worked on 6th for a few years and I really don't think the area is too bad. Sixth Street is a good walk from Loyola, but Downtown LA has a reputation for being more dangerous when itís really not. It does have more crime than the typical So Cal city but I still felt comfortable walking around alone at night.

Just my 2 cents

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 03:56:54 PM »
I am headed to Loyola next year.  Any suggestions on good area to live?  I am looking for cute areas, maybe near the beach so I can get some surfing in?  I am from NorCal and have no idea where to look.  I lived in OC for awhile and loved it, but I know LA is completely different.  Thanks!  :D
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

debstar

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 04:09:30 PM »
I am headed to Loyola next year. Any suggestions on good area to live? I am looking for cute areas, maybe near the beach so I can get some surfing in? I am from NorCal and have no idea where to look. I lived in OC for awhile and loved it, but I know LA is completely different. Thanks! :D

You will definitely want to look into Santa Monica. In some areas, the rent is high, but it has it's cheap areas just like any other part of L.A.  If you don't find anything in Santa Monica, Venice is another good place. It has that funky, kitschy vibe that SF has. Definitely cheap rent there. Both places are right next to the beach. Perfect for a morning surf.  These are 2 of my favorite places to hang out in L.A. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, as I've lived here all my life and will probably be able to answer most of your questions.

enave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 05:44:32 PM »
SW has a completely enclosed parking structure with key card access.  There is no reason a security guard would have to walk someone to his or her car.  To the poster who made this statement, I am afraid you are poorly informed.  I have not heard of one serious crime since I have been there (3 years).  I walk to public transportation every night and sometimes very early in the morning.  I have never felt afraid or insecure.  My personal opinion; Loyola is in a far worse area then Southwestern.  However, neither area is any worse than say USC.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 06:26:25 PM »
I am headed to Loyola next year. Any suggestions on good area to live? I am looking for cute areas, maybe near the beach so I can get some surfing in? I am from NorCal and have no idea where to look. I lived in OC for awhile and loved it, but I know LA is completely different. Thanks! :D

You will definitely want to look into Santa Monica. In some areas, the rent is high, but it has it's cheap areas just like any other part of L.A.  If you don't find anything in Santa Monica, Venice is another good place. It has that funky, kitschy vibe that SF has. Definitely cheap rent there. Both places are right next to the beach. Perfect for a morning surf.  These are 2 of my favorite places to hang out in L.A. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, as I've lived here all my life and will probably be able to answer most of your questions.

Thanks so much!   ;D
Loyola LA Here I Come!!