Law School Discussion

Loyola Law School (LA)

bhvexille

Re: Loyola Law School (LA)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 04:31:04 PM »
How about on campus housing?  Bad idea?

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 04:34:07 PM »
I don't think they offer that for law students.  I probably wouldn't do it though for 2 very important reasons:

1). Stressed law students running around me 24/7

2). I couldn't bring my adorable yorkie pup  :-[

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 04:35:39 PM »
anybody from the oct 2nd LSAT received a fee waiver for Loyola yet?

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 04:40:13 PM »
Other ideas on places to live...I would suggest checking out Palms/Mar Vista/Culver City in addition to Santa Monica and Venice.  Those areas are a little farther from the beach (about five miles), but right off the 10 Freeway (which is close to Loyola).  I lived in Palms for a long time, and I liked the fact that it was cheaper and quieter than the beach neighborhoods, but still close enough to go out for dinner on a whim or hit the beach.  Again, there are a lot of nice places, but it takes a little work to find an area that's not skeezy.

Also, I don't think Loyola is in a particularly bad area.  I've definitely spent time in nastier neighborhoods in LA, and have managed to come out unscathed.  LA is like any metropolitan area: you just have to be aware of your surroundings and exercise common sense.  Let me put it this way...my car got broken into in one of the nicest areas on the west side, yet I never had any problems working in Watts.  I know a lot of people that have had similiar experiences- getting mugged in a "nice" area, etc.  I guess my point is don't be scared of LA.  The city just wants a little love.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 04:54:54 PM »
Other ideas on places to live...I would suggest checking out Palms/Mar Vista/Culver City in addition to Santa Monica and Venice.  Those areas are a little farther from the beach (about five miles), but right off the 10 Freeway (which is close to Loyola).  I lived in Palms for a long time, and I liked the fact that it was cheaper and quieter than the beach neighborhoods, but still close enough to go out for dinner on a whim or hit the beach.  Again, there are a lot of nice places, but it takes a little work to find an area that's not skeezy.

Also, I don't think Loyola is in a particularly bad area.  I've definitely spent time in nastier neighborhoods in LA, and have managed to come out unscathed.  LA is like any metropolitan area: you just have to be aware of your surroundings and exercise common sense.  Let me put it this way...my car got broken into in one of the nicest areas on the west side, yet I never had any problems working in Watts.  I know a lot of people that have had similiar experiences- getting mugged in a "nice" area, etc.  I guess my point is don't be scared of LA.  The city just wants a little love.

I will check out all of these, thanks guys!  Have you heard of areas called Los Feliz and Silverlake?  Are those far away from Loyola?  Someone else on the board had mentioned them a long time ago.  Thanks.

I have worked in pretty low income areas before and I am not too worried about it.  The school gave me good $$, too.  I am excited to go look for a new pad in a few months.  :)

debstar

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 05:27:19 PM »
Los Feliz is an expensive neighborhood and Silverlake might be another great option. It's unique neighborhood just like Venice...lots of artsy spots. Neither are close to the beach though. You're going to have to hop on the freeway.  The good thing is that both these areas are within driving distance of Loyola (closer than Venice & Santa Monica).

If you're a girl, you might want to think twice about living in the area where Loyola is actually located. I'd say live a little further away (SM, Venice, Silverlake, etc.)

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 09:33:15 PM »
I'd say it's a decent commute from Long Beach and the cost of living is pretty low in LB. I'd try there.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 10:00:07 PM »
Yup, I'm a girl.  I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration.  Thanks girls!!  :-*

ZildjianKX

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004, 09:38:40 AM »
Yup, I'm a girl.  I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration.  Thanks girls!!  :-*

You said earlier you are headed there this year, have you heard back already??

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2004, 12:00:14 PM »

You said earlier you are headed there this year, have you heard back already??

I am actually part of their deferment incentive program for 2005 (i.e., I applied last year and was offered a full scholarship if I deferred for 1 year).