Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Correlation between LSAT Verbal and LSAT scores??  (Read 2657 times)

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Correlation between LSAT Verbal and LSAT scores??
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 07:31:05 PM »
Well, there should be at least some correlation since they both have very comparable reading comprehension sections.  

The rule you outlined kind of predicted my score, 790 SAT-V, 177 LSAT.

NothingSpecial

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 01:17:51 AM »
A U of Richmond Admissions officer once told me that as a rough estimate drop the zero and add a one to your sat score to see what LSAT score you should be getting...
In my case I got a 660 on the sat verbal so I should be getting a 166 on the LSAT, but instead I score anywhere from 157-162. I'm wondering if this is an accurate estimate, or maybe I'm not "living up to my potential". Anyone see similar scores?

This is the dumbest thing I've heard -> which scares me, because what if it's right!?!?!

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 10:04:53 AM »
I've actually found this to hold true fairly well, +/- a few points in either direction. 

If you just take the average of your verbal + math (half your total SAT), this may be an even better predictor.

However, to make it work, you pretty much have to max out on your LSAT prep, even if you didn't prep much on your SAT.  It usually takes a lot more work to reach your max level on the LSAT.
T25 or bust

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 10:09:04 AM »
This is a dumb discussion.  These tests are not comparable and are designed to measure different things.  I know people who have gotten 1600 on the SAT and only scored 165 on the LSAT.  I know people who scored well under 1400 on the SAT and then scored 175 on the LSAT.  Still, is there some kind of correlation?  Probably.  Does it matter?  No, as my anecdotal evidence suggests.  You simply have to do well on the LSAT to get into a good law school.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2004, 10:22:03 AM »
Reading comprehension is only 25% of the LSAT. The LSAT doesn't test any specific vocab or anything like that. It is apples and oranges. My LSAT is so far above my SAT verbal because I am good at reasoning. Either that, or all that drinking and other stuff that made others less intelligent strangely had the exact opposite consequences for me.

The tests may not be entirely comparable, but the fact that 27-28% of the LSAT score is composed of the same section at +/-50% of the SAT-V is enough to produce at least some correlation.  That's all I'm saying.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 10:25:50 AM »
Well, there would have to be some correlation.  People who do well on standardized tests probably will do well on both the LSAT and the SAT.  People who don't, don't do as well.

Testing on tests such as the SAT/LSAT is no indication of how smart you are, either. 
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2004, 11:57:22 AM »
hit 25 last month  :(

SAT in 1995 (don't know why I took it my junior year)...uhh 690 verbal so I wish that correlation to be true. 

I love RC...only have taken 2 practice tests though and so far I suck at LR
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2004, 12:48:34 PM »
hit 25 last month  :(

SAT in 1995 (don't know why I took it my junior year)...uhh 690 verbal so I wish that correlation to be true. 

I love RC...only have taken 2 practice tests though and so far I suck at LR

That's ok...it's much easier to get better at LR w/ practice compared to RC!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »
true!

I have the LRB but it is so huge I'm not sure I will have enough time btw now and feb w/ work n school but I am going to give it a try!
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

rk83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2004, 01:03:53 PM »
the LRB was helpful for me...esp. the justification method ( I think that's what it's calleD?)

Did anyone ever tell u u look like Rachael Leigh Cook? hehehhe